Transfer Local Folders to Office 365
This page explains how to transfer local folders to Office 365. Local Folders are folders storing email messages that are saved only on your own computer. They are also known as Archives or Personal Folders.
This document will guide you through moving local folders into Office 365.
- If you used POP to access your email, you have local folders.
- If you have email messages that only show on your computer and not in Office 365, you have local folders.
Backup Local Folders into a PST file
In computing, a Personal Storage Table (.pst) is an open proprietary file format used to store copies of messages, calendar events, and other items within Microsoft Outlook.
2. Click "File".
3. Click "Open & Export" on the left.
4. Click "Import/Export".
5. Select "Export to a file", click "Next".
6. Select "Outlook Data File (.pst)", click "Next".
7. Select your @uwo.ca email address to backup your emails, or select Outlook Data File to backup personal contacts and local folders.
8. Click "Next".
9. Click "Browse" and choose a name and location to save your .pst file, click "OK".
10. Click "Finish".
- Start Outlook.
- On the "Tools" menu, click "Options".
- On the "Mail Setup" tab, click the "Data Files" button.
- Note the path and file name of your .pst file.
- Click "Close", click "OK".
Importing Local Folders into Office 365
Note: You must setup your Office 365 account in a desktop client before you can import your local folders. For instructions on configuring Office 365 in a desktop client, please visit the Desktop Setup Guides.
1. Start Outlook 2010/2013
2. Click File
3. Click "Open & Export" on the left
4. Click Import/Export
5. Select "Import from another program or file"
6. Select "Outlook Data File (.pst)", click Next
7. Click Browse and navigate to your saved .pst file from Step 1, click Next
8. Select "Import items to the same folder in" and make sure your Western account is selected in the drop-down
9. Click Finish
- Click Tools, click Options
- Click the Mail Setup tab, click E-mail accounts
- Click the Data Files tab, click Add
- Click "Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst)"
- Click OK twice
Step 1 – Open Thunderbird. If you receive the error message in Fig. 1, click Cancel
Step 2 – Click Tools, click Account Settings
Step 3 – Click Server Settings for your @Western.ca account, fill out the below information and click OK
- Server Name: outlook.office365.com
- Port: 993
- User Name: your full @Western.ca email address
Step 4 – When prompted, enter your Western password and click OK
Step 5 – Drag and drop your Local Folders to your Western account to move them back to the server. Depending on the size of your Local Folder, it may take some time to copy them to the Western mail server.
Published on and maintained in Cascade CMS.