How do I sign-up for one of the Certificate/diploma in Writing?
Please email email@example.com or visit the main office in Lawson Hall 3270 with your student number and we will have the Certificate added to your record.
how do i sign-up for the minor in writing studies/creative writing?
Please contact your home academic counsellor and he/she will have the minor added for you.
what is the process to be approved to take a 2200-level writing course without the prerequisite course?
We will be considering requests for Special Permission to take 2200-level Writing courses without the prerequisites for the academic year 2013-2014 on an on-going basis.
The procedure is as follows:
1. Contact the Undergraduate Program Director (Writing), Mr. Brock Eayrs, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org requesting permission to take one or more 2200-level Writing courses without the prerequisite(s). Be specific as to which course(s) you want to take, and why.
2. Attach to your email at least two academic essays, complete with comments and grades (electronic or scanned). Alternatively, you can drop hard copies of your essays off at the Writing offices (Lawson Hall Rm. 3270); attach a note identifying yourself and making reference to your email request.
3. Your academic writing must meet the following standard: is it at a level that would earn a grade of 65 or better in a 2100-level Writing course? This standard applies to all 2200-level courses Special Permissions, including those for "creative writing" courses. Our decisions on these assessments are final.
4. If granted, a permission will be endorsed on your academic record.
5. Please note the following:
Special Permission does not guarantee you a place in the course: that is subject to enrolment. We do not override our course/section enrollment capacities.
All permissions will contain the following statement: “Not a basis for appeal.” This means that you understand that you cannot use the mere fact of having received permission as a ‘guarantee’ of success in the course, and consequently as a basis for an appeal of a grade or final grade in the course.
Permissions granted prior to July 25th 2013 will contain the phrase “Effective only on or after July 25th 2013.” July 25th is the date that ‘priorities’ are lifted by the Office of the Registrar, and we do grant priority (in registration) to students having prerequisites and/or registered in our academic programs.
In order to register into a course under a special permission, you must go through the Registration Helpline at 519 661 2100. You cannot add a course under a permission through the usual web registration process.