MA , PhD
Women's Studies and Feminist Research
Office: Lawson Hall 3255
Phone: 519-661-2111 ext. 88931
I've been teaching both undergraduate and graduate courses on the history of sexuality, intersectionality, and on current trends in queer theory. My background is originally in Comparative Literature, so literature continues to play an important role in how I think about theory in terms of my teaching. I also see teaching and research as integral to each other and as mutually enhancing. My current research looks at how legal discourse in the nineteenth century dealt with the notion of deviant female sexuality when, in fact, women were not technically subject to 'sodomy' laws.
- Roulston, Chris. "The Revolting Anne Lister: the U.K.'s First Modern Lesbian." The Journal of Lesbian Studies: Revolting Bodies: Desiring Lesbians: Special Issue. Ed. Olu Jenzen. 17:3-4 (Spring 2013): 267-278.
- Roulston, Chris. "'A Thing Perhaps Impossible': The 1811 Woods/Pirie Trial and Its Legacies." Developments in the Histories of Sexualities 1600-1800; In Search of the Normal. Eds. Caroline Gonda and Chris Mounsey, Bucknell Uiversity Press, 2013. Pp.125-144.
- "New Approaches to the Queer Eighteenth Century." Literature Compass 10.10 (2013): 761-770.
Work in Progress
- Roulston, Chris. "Marriage, Sexuality and the Meaning of the Wedding Night in Eighteenth-Century France," Heteronormativity in the Eighteenth Century. Eds Ana Boe and Abby Coykendall, Burlington, VT: Ashgate Press, forthcoming Spring 2014.
- Roulston, Chris. "Marriage and Its Queer Identifications in the Anne Lister Diaries." After Marriage in the Long Eighteenth Century. Eds. Karl Leydecker and Jenny DiPlacidi. London: Pickering and Chatto (submitted September 2013).
- "Lesbianism on Trial: An Enquiry into Cases of Deviant Female Sexuality from the Nineteenth to the Early Twentieth Centuries." SSHRC-funded three-year research project, 2009-2012.
- Roulston, Chris. "Female Education and Sex Education in Choderlos de Laclos's Les Liaisons dangereuses," Studies on Voltaire and the Eighteenth Century: Sex Education in the Eighteenth Century. Ed. Shane Agin. Oxford: Voltaire Foundation, 2011:09. 191-205.
- Roulston, Chris. Narrating Marriage in Eighteenth-Century England and France. Burlington, VT: Ashgate Press, 2010. 240 pp.
is now available at: http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9780754668398
- "Between Two Worlds: The Sea and the Imaginary in the Eighteenth Century." Bridges Over Water: Social Openness and Enclosure. Eds. Sanda Badescu and Carlo Lavoie. Cambridge Scholars Press, 2007. 43-56.
- "Word and Image in the Representation of Marriage in the Eighteenth Century." Word and Image in the Eighteenth Century: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue. Eds. Christina Ionescu and Renata Schellenberg. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2007. 24-43.
- "Having it Both Ways? The Eighteenth-Century Ménage-à-Trois." Queer People: Negotiations and Expressions of Homosexuality, 1700-1800. Eds. Chris Mounsey and Caroline Gonda. Lewisburg: Bucknell University Press, 2007. 274-298.
- Virtue, Gender and the Authentic Self in Eighteenth-Century Fiction: Richardson, Rousseau, and Laclos. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1998. 211pp.
Articles in Refereed Journals
- 'Space and the Representation of Marriage in Eighteenth-Century Advice Literature." The Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation, 49.1 (Spring 2008): 25-41.
- "Framing Sensibility: The Female Couple in Art and Narrative." Eds. Caroline Gonda and Chris Mounsey. Special Issue for Studies in English Literature: Friendship and Same-Sex Love (SEL), 46.3 (Summer 2006): 641-655.
- Mary Trouille, Wife-Abuse in Eighteeenth-Century France. Studies on Voltaire and the Eighteenth Century (SVEC). Oxford: Voltaire Foundation, 2009:1. 377 pages. Journal for Eighteenth-Century Studies, forthcoming.
- Le corps romanesque: Images et usages topiques sous l’ancien régime. Eds. Monique Moser-Verray, Lucie Desjardins, Chantal Turbide. Québec: Les Presses de l’université de Laval, 2009. 662 pages. University of Toronto Quarterly 80.2 (Spring 2011): 582-587.
Recent or upcoming conference presentations/talks:
- "Identities or Identifications: Is Queer History Changing?" The Modern Lesbian: 20th Annual Lesbian Lives Conference, University of Brighton, UK, 15-16 February 2013.
- "Decoding Anne Lister," American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (ASECS), San Antonio, Texas, 22-25 March 2012.
- "La théorie Queer: de ses origines aux débats actuels," Le Centre Transdisciplinaire d'épistémologie de la littérature et des arts vivants: Axe III Littérature et communauté, Université de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, Nice, 30 mai 2012.
- "Queer Eighteenth-Century Studies: Where Are We Now?," Queer People VI, Christ's College, Cambridge University, UK, 4-7 July 2012.