Community: A Participatory Art Conference
Thursday March 30 and Friday March 31, 2017
Unless indicated otherwise, all presentations will take place in lecture hall 100 at the front left entrance.
Western University Arts & Humanities and the Department of Visual Arts invite you to attend the 2017 BFA Practicum/MFA/PhD Open Studios and Graduate Symposium.
Building on the success of last year's Symposium, we have expanded this year’s event to include two days full of community-focused programming! This year's symposium, entitled Community: A Participatory Art Conference, will consist of two days of events with a focus on what defines a community, how communities function, how might they be different and how artists contribute and shape communities. The symposium will include keynote speakers, presentations by graduate students, group breakout sessions and open studios.
Join us to get an intimate in-studio look at art by talented artists in BFA Practicum, MFA and Studio PhD programs, and participate in the Visual Arts Graduate Conference.
Live in Toronto and want to attend? We will be running a FREE COACH BUS from Toronto to London and back on Friday March 31. For details and to reserve a seat, please RSVP with your full name: email@example.com
Keynote Presentation: Keith Cole.
Presenters: VSVSVS Artist Collective, Jill Clair (East Village Arts Collective), Elizaveta Zhurkovskaya (OCAD U) and Jessica Cappuccitti (Western University)
Schedule is as follows:
Thursday March 30
- Noon – 9 pm Artlab Gallery, Practicum Exhibition, Fellow Feeling
- 5 – 9 pm: BFA Practicum / MFA / PhD Open Studios
- 7 – 8:30 pm Art Now Talk featuring VSVSVS
Friday March 31
- 12pm – 6pm: BFA Practicum / MFA / PhD Open Studios
- 10am – 12:30pm: MA Presentations
- 12:30 – 1:30: Lunch provided in the Cohen Commons
- 1:30 – 2: Jessica Cappuccitti (UWO): "Rui(N)ation: Narratives of Art and Urban Revitalization in Detroit"
- 2 – 2.30: Jill Clair from East Village Arts Collective
- 2:30 – 3:15: Breakout Session - Collectively Designed Community Spaces
- 3:15 – 3:30: Coffee Break in the Cohen Commons
- 3:30 – 4: Elizaveta Zhurkovskaya (OCADU): "It Is All Made Up of Stories"
- 4 – 4:45: Breakout Session - Storytelling as Community Building
- 4:45 – 5: Break
- 5 – 5:45: Keith Cole, Keynote Speaker
- 6:30: Bus returns to Toronto
- 6 – 9: After Party at Forest City Gallery
Open Studio Participating Artists:
Charles Lee Franklin Harris
Kevin Campbell Parker
Watch for sneak peeks of artists work and stay up to date with us!
For more information please contact the Open Studio and Symposium organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org