|Report and Recommendations of the
UWO Act Review Committee
November 11, 1996
CAMPUS & COMMUNITY AFFAIRS COMMITTEE
Terms of Reference
1. The Campus and Community Affairs Committee is a Committee of the Board constituted to advise the Board on affairs and activities which are not within the purview of other committees of the Board, or which can be more conveniently considered by the Campus and Community Affairs Committee.
2. The Committee may report and make recommendations to the Board concerning the following campus affairs:
(a) the relationship of campus components and organizations to the University as a whole, provided that such relationships do not fall within the purview of the Senior Operations Committee;
(b) (i) the use of the University's name and
(ii) the naming of buildings, roads, structures, etc.,
(iii) the use of University facilities for other than regularly-scheduled academic purposes,
except that the Coordinating Committee may direct such reports and recommendations to the Property and Finance Committee;
(c) general University/student relations in non-academic matters, including student disciplinary codes;
(d) procedures for the election of Board members under clauses 9.(1)(e), (f), and (g) of the UWO Act (1982).
3. The Committee's concerns also include promotion and maintenance of good relations with the University's public, including:
(a) general relationships with:
- the municipalities and counties of
southwestern Ontario, the provincial and
- the teaching hospitals and related health care organizations;
- the community at large, e.g. ethnic groups, charitable organizations (United Way);
- the alumni of the University;
(b) affiliation and other agreements which require Board approval, or as may be referred by the President.
(c) vehicles of community relations (e.g. publications, special events, media relations), and may make recommendations thereon to the President.
The Committee may report to the Board on the status of relationships between the University and its public, and may make recommendations as required.
4. At the direction of the Board or the Coordinating Committee, any other matters within the jurisdiction of the Board pertaining to campus and/or community affairs or activities, which are not within the purview of another committee of the Board, may be referred to the Campus and Community Relations Committee for review and recommendations to the Board.
Membership and Procedure
5. The Committee shall consist of at least thirteen members, including:
(a) the following ex officio members:
The Chair of the Board
The Vice-Chair of the Board
The Provost & Vice-President (Academic)
The Vice-President (Administration)
The Vice-President (External)
The Secretary of the Board
(b) at least six members of the Board, including at least one member of Faculty, one member of Staff, and one student.
6. The Chair of the Committee shall be appointed annually by the Board among the members appointed under section 5.(b) above.
7. The Secretary of the Board shall be Secretary of the Committee.
8. At the discretion of the Board or the Coordinating Committee, the Committee may receive periodic or special reports from the President or a Vice-President on matters described in sections 2. and 3. above.
9. At the request of the President, the Committee may invite recommendations, proposals, or submissions from individuals or components of the University, or from campus organizations, where the Committee is of the view that such proposals or submissions may assist it in dealing with matters under its purview.