Selected Teaching Topics
These free (no registration required) self-paced modules prepared by Teaching Support Centre staff and our colleagues at other Ontario universities cover six topics in higher education. Each module offers evidence-based practices and activities.
Use active learning to spark the interests of your students by creating a more engaging learning experience.
Increase your understanding of the importance of assessment in the process of student learning and motivation.
This module focuses upon the ethical principles and concepts of professionalism for higher education and teaching.
This module provides an introduction into inclusive education, student diversity, interculturalizing the curriculum and teaching across cultures in various academic settings.
Understanding your students as learners – with their unique goals, motivations, beliefs and learning practices – will help you be a better teacher.
introduces the course design process and provides several best practices for creating and redesigning your course
- Academic Integrity
- Western University provides campus resources to support faculty members and graduate teaching assistants to ensure the academic integrity of all of our programs. On this page you will find a list of resources that will be useful for you to employ in the classroom.
- Resources on the assessment learning cycle, multiple choice questions, and assessing group work.
- Information Literacy
- Information Literacy is defined as the skills and abilities that facilitate efficiently accessing, critically assessing, effectively assimilating, and responsibly applying information.
- Student Engagement
- Engagement is defined as the time and effort that students spend on activities related to student life (curricular and co-curricular). It is measured by using specific behaviors such as the discussion of class material or participation in co-curricular activities.
- Teaching Dossiers
- In 1996, Western University implemented the use of Teaching Dossiers as part of the procedure for promotion and tenure. Information is provided here to assist faculty in developing their teaching dossier. Periodically, workshops are also given on this topic by the Teaching Support Centre.
- Teaching Large Classes
- Welcome to the Teaching Large Classes Website. We hope you will find what follows useful, that the material here will offer you some new ideas, and perhaps confirm some parts of your own experience.