- » Post Docs
Most TSC programs are open to postdoctoral scholars at Western, with the exception of GS9500, our graduate course on university teaching.
- Postdocs can participate in all faculty programs (if space is available), and all graduate student development programs.
- In limited enrollment programs such as the Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW) and Advanced Teaching Practice (ATP), priority will be given to postdocs who are currently teaching a course at Western.
Programs that postdocs will find particularly useful include:
Graduate Student Programs
- Western Certificate in University Teaching and Learning
- Advanced Teaching Practice (recommended for postdocs with prior teaching experience)
- Winter Conference on Teaching
- Future Professor Workshops
- Academic and Professional Communication
Programs for International Postdocs
- Communication in the Canadian Classroom
- Teaching in the Canadian Classroom
- Language of Teaching in Engineering
- Language of Teaching in the Sciences
- The Language of Advanced Discussions
- The Language of Conference Presentations
- The Language of Academic Interviews
- The Language of Difficult Conversations
- The Language of Research Presentations
Resources for Postdoctoral Scholars
Resources on Graduate Supervision
- Western Guide to Graduate Supervision (pdf)
- Western Guide to Mentoring International Graduate Students (pdf)
- Navigating Difficult Conversations with Your Supervisor
- The Interest-Based Approach to Setting Expectations (workshops)
- Navigating Issues in Graduate Supervision: Skills for Preventing and Resolving Conflict (workshops)
For additional professional development programs and resources on Grant Writing, Getting Published, Career Development, Academic Interviews, and Networking at Academic Conferences offered by the Student Success Centre, Writing Centre and SGPS, see the 360 graduate student development initiative website, at grad.uwo.ca/360.
Please visit our website regularly to see what programs are offered.
Articles and Booklets
- From Your Lab to Your Livelihood - article from University Affairs on finding your first postdoctoral fellowship
- So You Want To Be a Science Professor - article from University Affairs on science careers in academia
- Industrial Postdocs - articles on postdoctoral fellowships in industry from Science Careers
- Focus on Careers Postdoctoral Positions - article on transferring skills into career options for postdocs from Science
- Success Factors for Postdocs - article on preparing for a successful postdoctoral appointment from Science
- Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty - handbook for Postdocs on lab management from Howard Hughes Medical Institute