- » Graduate Programs
- » Western Certificate in University Teaching and Learning
- » Resources for Preparing your Teaching Portfolio
Resources for Preparing your Teaching Portfolio
The following information and resources are intended to assist graduate students in preparing a Teaching Portfolio (also called a Teaching Dossier) to submit as a component of the Western Certificate in University Teaching and Learning.
Teaching portfolios will be evaluated for the certificate using this Evaluation Rubric (PDF). Please use the rubric as a guide when preparing your portfolio. Also, note that you must include all of the components marked REQUIRED in the evaluation rubric for the portfolio you submit.
Resources to help you prepare your teaching portfolio:
- Social Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Physical Sciences & Engineering
- Arts & Humanities
- Writing a Statement of Teaching Philosophy for the Academic Job Search (PDF). Highly recommended article from the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching at the University of Michigan.
- The Teaching Dossier Binder in the Teaching Support Centre (TSC). This yellow binder includes excellent resources to help you prepare your teaching portfolio and teaching philosophy statement, including excellent example dossiers. The binder is not available for loan but can be reviewed in the TSC.
- Seldin, S. (2004). The teaching portfolio: A practical guide to improved performance and promotion/tenure decisions, Bolton MA: Anker Press. This book is available in the TSC library (LB2333.S46 2004) for review but it is not available for loan.
- The Future Professor: Path to Teaching Excellence workshop series has sessions on preparing a teaching portfolio and writing a teaching philosophy statement. Attending these sessions is recommended, but not required, before you write your portfolio. For a schedule of Future Professor workshops, please click here.
Links to sites with information on developing a teaching philosophy statement include:
Reflections article on how to develop a teaching philosophy
"What is a philosophy of teaching statement?"
Writing tips to help get you started
Writing a teaching philosophy statement
Chronicle of Higher Education article on Teaching Philosophy Statements
For your information, click here to access Western’s Policy on Use of Teaching Dossiers in Faculty Evaluation.