ATP - Advanced Teaching Program
The Advanced Teaching Program (ATP) is a hands-on seminar specifically designed for advanced graduate students who would like to develop the practical skills necessary to teach their own courses. This seminar will touch on a number of topics including teaching strategically for maximum impact, developing and maintaining a culture of respect in your classroom, dealing with difficult students and authentically assessing student learning. In addition, choose from concurrent sessions designed to meet your discipline-related teaching needs such as engaging science, engineering and math students with innovative problem sets or enhancing cooperative learning in your classroom through teaching teamwork skills. Gain invaluable hands-on experience and practice innovative instructional techniques in our unique micro teaching sessions where you will receive helpful, constructive feedback from your peers and our experienced team of instructors. Upon completion of a capstone project, you'll receive a certificate of achievement as evidence of your commitment to the development of your knowledge and skill as a teacher.
ATP is generally run over six weeks. Attendance in each of the classes is mandatory to completing ATP. Successful completion fulfils one component of the Western Certificate in University Teaching and Learning. Please refer to the Personal Progress Tracker for additional details.
Fall 2015 Session Dates:
- Friday, October 09, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Friday, October 16, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Friday, October 23, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Friday, October 30, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Friday, November 06, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Friday, November 13, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Location: Teaching Support Centre, Weldon Library, Room 122
Fall 2015 Registration:
We require payment of a $20 refundable deposit to complete your registration. The deposit is accepted in person at the Teaching Support Centre, Room 122, The D.B. Weldon Library. Once your deposit is received your registration in the course is confirmed.
How Does It Work?
- The seminar is free. We collect a $20.00 refundable deposit, which will be returned to you after you complete your session.
- All sessions are held on campus.
- Graduates of the program receive a Western University certificate of completion.
- Approximately one week before the session, we will email you a package of information about the session (location, detailed schedule, etc.).
- If you are unable to attend you must leave an email message at firstname.lastname@example.org 72 hours before the session starts. Without this notice, we will not be able to return your deposit.
What Are The Benefits?
- Useful preparation for a future faculty career
- Looks great on a CV or as part of a teaching dossier
- Excellent preparation for teaching your own course
- Enhanced skills in course design, classroom management and assessment
- Increased confidence
- Become aware of powerful strategies to improve student motivation in your classroom
- Increased student learning as a result of your improved teaching
- Meeting other skilled graduate students and gaining a wealth of ideas from their experiences and those of the ATP instructors
Karyn Olsen, Educational Developer