Course on Teaching at the University Level
Teaching at the University Level Course for New Faculty
Monday August 18th to Thursday August 21st, 2014
Teaching Support Centre, Room 121, The D.B. Weldon Library
The Teaching Support Centre is offering a four-day comprehensive course, Teaching at the University Level, for faculty who are new to teaching. This course, which is modeled after the Instructional Skills Workshop, is designed to help full-time and part-time faculty members with less than five years of teaching experience develop their teaching talents and gain experience with a variety of teaching methods.
The course is offered within a small group setting and is designed to enhance the teaching effectiveness of new instructors. These sessions provide new instructors with an introduction to designing and facilitating effective learning activities.
During the four-day course, participants design and deliver three "mini-lessons" and receive verbal, written and video feedback from their peers. Using an experiential approach, participants are provided with information on the theory and practice of teaching adult learners, the selection and writing of useful learning objectives with accompanying lesson plans, techniques for eliciting learner participation, and suggestions for evaluating learning. Participation in the course creates an opportunity for new faculty to find out about Western’s unique learning environment. Added benefits are a sense of collegiality, team building, and self-discovery.
Topics may include:
- Learning Outcomes
- Learning Styles
- Classroom Management
- Interactive Techniques
- Lecture Structure
- Student Engagement
- Large Class/Small Class Teaching
The course will be held August 18th to 21st inclusive. You are required to attend the full four days and you will need to do homework in the evenings. To participate in this teaching course, you must have a faculty appointment at Western and be teaching a course in the upcoming academic year.
Typical comments by course participants include:
- "This is truly an amazing course. You made me examine my approach and attitude to teaching, and you put me on the path to being a much more effective instructor".
- "The course was fun, practical, and sociable. You gave us a chance to meet one another, to learn from one another. I have been truly motivated to give it my best now that I know where to find all the tools".
- "The microteaching sessions had a profound impact on me. I learned that I have the capability to teach, and I benefited from the feedback of the other participants and our instructor".
- "It was a fantastic opportunity to practice new techniques in a safe and friendly environment".