Department of Sociology
Education: BA, MA, University of Calgary; Ph.D., York (UK)
Bakhtin and dialogical theory; European social theory and social philosophy including poststructuralism, phenomenology, hermeneutics and critical theory; history of social thought; cultural studies, especially the culture of cities; utopianism in theory and practice; social ecology; sociology of the body; ethics; theories of everyday life.
Books: Critiques of Everyday Life (Routledge, 2000), The Dialogics of Critique: M.M. Bakhtin and the Theory of Ideology (Routledge, 1992); editor, Mikhail Bakhtin, Masters of Modern Social Thought series, four vols. (Sage, 2003), Bakhtin and the Human Sciences: No Last Words (Sage, 1998); co-editor, Rethinking Everyday Life: And Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out, special double issue of Cultural Studies, 18, 2/3 (Routledge, 2004), coeditor, Rethinking Everyday Life: And Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out, special double issue of Cultural Studies, 18 (2-3), March-May, 2004, 139-159.
- James Hall: In the Fullness of Time: M. M. Bakhtin, In Discourse and in Life, MA thesis, 2012
- Julian Haladyn: The Will to Boredom, PhD thesis, 2012
- Jessica Reilly: Beyond the Spectacle: Rethinking Debord, MA thesis, 2009
- Timothy August: The Edible Plebiscite, MA thesis, 2006
- Petra Hroch: Puppet Masters: Aesthetics and Politics of the Marionnette, MA thesis, 2006
- Carolyn Veldstra: Subversive Postmodern Humour in the Era of Its Impossibility, MA thesis, 2005
Also from this web page: