Department of Anthropology; Distinguished University Professor; Director, Centre for Research & Teaching of Canadian Native Languages; Adjunct Professor, McMaster University
Education: BA, Bryn Mawr; MA, PhD, Pennsylvania, DLitt, Waterloo, FRSC
Research interests: history of anthropology; epistemology and politics of First Nations languages and cultures; ethnographic theory, especially narrative and poetic genres.
Books: Books: Edward Sapir: Linguist, Anthropologist, Humanist (Nebraska 2010, original California, 1990); Daniel Garrison Brinton: The “Fearless Critic” of Philadelphia (U. of Penn. Museum, 1988); co-editor: Celebrating a Century of the American Anthropological Association (Nebraska, 2002), American Anthropology 1971-90: Selected Papers from American Anthropology (Nebraska, 2002), Invisible Genealogies: Americanist Persistences in Contemporary Anthropology (Nebraska, 2001), Culture, Society and the Individual Vol. 3 (Mouton de Gruyter, 1999), Theorizing the Americanist Tradition (Toronto, 1999), And Along Came Boas: Continuity and Revolution in Americanist Anthropology (John Benjamins, 1998); Collected Works of Edward Sapir Vol. 4 Ethnology (Mouton de Gruyter, 1994), Native North American Interaction Patterns (Can. Museum of Civilization, 1988), Ed. with Julia Harrison, Historicizing Canadian Anthropology, UBC Press (2006), Founding editor: Critical Studies in the History of Anthropology and Histories of Anthropology Annual (v. 6 in press). Founding editor: Critical Studies in the History of Anthropology. General Editor of The Franz Boas Papers: Documentary Edition, a joint publication series of 25 volumes in partnership with the American Philosophical Society and the University of Nebraska Press.
- Gerald McKinley:Tease of the New Earthdivers: Following Native Narrative in Search of New Identities, MA thesis, 2008
- Shannon Foskett: Speculative Science: Gilles Deleuze, Chaos & the Quantum, MA thesis, 2007
- Dolleen Manning: Anishinabemowin: Language that Gives to the Eternal Impasse, MA thesis, 2005
- Margaret Macpherson: The Politics of Thereism, MA thesis, 2002
- Elizabeth Guerrier: The Promise of Justice: Interpreting Mi'kmaw Treaties in an Ever-Changing World, MA thesis, 2001
- Julie Petruzzellis: Anti-Optant: First Nations Rights, Citizenship, and Radical Democracy, MA thesis, 2000
- Terry Hoople: The SM Ascetic Practice of Resistance: A Critical Ethnography, MA thesis, 1994
Also from this web page: