Internship Course 3391
Internship Course 3391
(Science 3391: Internship: Planning, Practicum, and Prospects)
This is a 1.0 credit course for successfully completing the Science Internship Program and is taken on top of a regular full-time course load (no additional course fees will be assessed). Please note: students do not register themselves in Science 3391 (it is not a normal course). Once approved to the program students will have Science 3391 added to their records. It will not trigger a course “overload”.
The Course consists of:
- A preparatory series of workshops, which may include cover letter/resume writing, interview skills, introduction to technical writing, introduction to intellectual property, business etiquette.
- Development and review of a professional resume
- An 8-16 month Internship work term. Performance reviews will be submitted to the Internship Coordinator.
- Following the Internship work term, interns will submit a written report focusing on the technical aspect of the placement and will prepare a short oral presentation which will be graded at the Science Internship Day. The departmental representative will assign a pass/fail grade based on performance reviews, as well as the oral and written presentation.
- Interns will participate in general discussions regarding what they have learned during their Internship experience in terms of interview skills, action planning/goal setting, business etiquette, and how these areas differ from one business setting to another. The goal of this final component is to allow Interns the opportunity to learn [from one another] how their skills are transferable to multiple settings and industries.
- Attend an Information Session about the Science Internship Program in September.
- Apply and obtain approval to participate (opens August 25, 2017, 2017/2018 academic year) in the Science Internship Program and review the Science 3391 course information.
- Attend the first class of Science 3391, when announced, in order to be enrolled in the course.
- Actively participate in Science 3391 throughout the academic year.
- Check Career Central regularly for updated job postings.
- Keep all deadlines in mind as specified in the Employers Recruiting Schedule.
- Follow job application procedures as outlined in each job description.
- You will be notified by the Student Success Centre if you have been selected for an interview.