Med Sci 2 FAQs
Assured admission to Year 3 BMSc requires successful completion of a full course load of 5.0 courses during the Fall/Winter.
- Note: Summer credits do not count towards your Fall/Winter course load count.
- Repeating a course in second year? Contact academic counselling to discuss how this will impact your course load and admission to the BMSc program.
Assured admission to year 3 BMSc requires an 80% average on the 2000 level admission requirement courses listed for the modules you are applying to, with a minimum of 60% in each (65% in Biochem 2280 for Biochemistry program), and no failures in any of the 5.0 courses (electives or required).
- 80% is not required in each individual course and the average is based only on the 2000 level admission requirement courses listed for the modules you are applying/admitted to.
- If you are worried you will fail an elective or fail/not get a 60% in a 2000 level admission requirement course, visit Academic Counselling in WSC 140 to discuss your options before the course drop deadline. If it is in A term, you may be able to drop the course and overload in the second term to maintain the required 5.0-course load required for admission.
- It is possible to receive 50-59% in a 2000 level admission requirement course and still be admitted to Year 3 BMSc if that course is not an admission requirement to the module you are applying/admitted to.
You will not be eligible for assured admission to Year 3 BMSc if you receive below 60% in a 2000 level admission requirement course for the module you are applying to. You are allowed, however, to repeat one-half course during year 2 (or in the summer after) to be considered through the competitive pool. The average of the first and second attempt for the half course will be used in calculating the average used to determine your eligibility for Year 3 BMSc admission.
Note: You are not required to repeat the 2000 level admission requirement course that you received 50-59% in if it is not an admission requirement for the particular module(s) you are applying to.
No, you will not be admitted to Year 3 BMSc if you fail a course in Year 2, even if it is only an elective. If you fail a course in Year 2, visit Academic Counselling in WSC 140 to discuss your program options.
You cannot fail a course in the summer between Year 2 and 3. If you were admitted to Year 3 BMSc and fail a course during the summer, you will lose your admission, even if it is an elective course. Visit Academic Counselling in WSC 140 to discuss your program options.
Admission to Year 3 BMSc is assured to those Med Sci 2 students who satisfy admission conditions as outlined here. If you do not satisfy the conditions by April, but do after repeating/taking a summer course you can still be considered through the competitive pool. You will not be considered for Year 3 BMSc if you fail any course in Year 2 or the summer after Year 2.
You cannot be admitted to Year 3 BMSc with any failures in Year 2. Watch the course drop deadlines and visit Academic Counselling in WSC 140 to discuss dropping without penalty and whether overloading in the second term to maintain a 5.0-course load is advisable.