Full-time: A student who registers from September to April in 3.5 credits or more.
Part-time: A student who registers for 3.0 credits or fewer in any session.
To register for courses, a student must:
Web registration begins in March for Summer session courses. See our Summer Session FAQ for more information.
- Be admitted to Western or be a continuing student in good standing
- Select courses by the appropriate deadline
Web registration begins in June for Fall/Winter session courses and is available only to continuing Western students who have submitted an Intent to Register form.
Academic timetables can be viewed here.
Intent to Register
Students choose their program/module/degree(s) during the Intent to Register period (usually early February to late March). There will be Information Sessions available during this time.
Check the Office of the Registrar's website in late January for details.
Department Counsellor(s) provide counselling regarding course selection.
More details about Intent to Register can be found here.
Information on course enrollment and web registration for 2nd term (2012) can be found here.
Important dates can be found here.
After the Intent to Register period, program/module/degree changes require the submission of a Change of Status form. These forms are available from our academic counselling office and must be completed for:
- Changes in academic load (e.g. full-time to part-time)
- Changes of degree objective (e.g. honors to 3 year)
- Changes in program/module(s)
- Changes in Faculty of registration
- Complete withdrawal from university
Letter of Permission
Students apply to the Academic Counselling Office of their Faculty for a Letter of Permission to take courses at another university (note the non-refundable fee charged by the Registrar's Office).
Steps to take:
COURSES TAKEN at an ONLINE UNIVERSITY
- Visit the other university's website for a description of the course(s) that you wish to take
- Print off the course description and bring it to the Academic Counselling Office during drop-in counselling hours
- You may need to get departmental approval (the Academic Counsellor will advise on next steps)
- Completed forms must be submitted to the Academic Counselling Office by the published deadlines
- You must adhere to the other university's policy/deadlines for admission as a visiting student, and to Western's policies and deadlines for completing the course.
- Remember to have an official transcript transferred to Western upon completion of the course(s). Instructions and deadlines are provided on your copy of the letter of permission form and on the Registrar's Office web site.
The following links provide more information on Letters of Permission.
- For summer courses, course work must be completed and the final exam must be written by AUGUST 31, 2012. Transcripts must be sent to Western prior to the November 1, 2012 deadline for the submission of grades.
- If we have not received a transcript by November 1, you will receive an "F" for the courses. No exceptions/extensions will be given unless proof is provided that the course was completed prior to August 31st.
Transfer of Credit to Western
Transfer of Credit to Another University
Back to the FAQ's page
Western provides the best student experience among Canada's leading research-intensive universities.