Counselling Resources

Registration FAQ's

Registration/Course Selection

Full-time:  A student who registers from September to April in 3.5 credits or more.

Part-time:  A student who registers for 3.0 credits or fewer in any session.

To register for courses, a student must:

  • Be admitted to Western or be a continuing student in good standing
  • Select courses by the appropriate deadline

Web registration begins in March for Summer session courses.

Web registration begins in June for Fall/Winter session courses and is available only to continuing Western students who have submitted an Intent to Register form.

Academic timetables can be viewed here.

Intent to Register

Students choose their program/module/degree(s) during February's Intent to Register period. There will be Information Sessions available during this time.

Check the Office of the Registrar's website in mid-January for details.

Department Counsellor(s) provide counselling regarding course selection.


There is a Add/Drop period in September and January when students can change courses if space is available.

January 2010
Online Add/Drop - January 4 - 9
Paper Add/Drop - January 11 & 12

Last day to drop a second term half course is February 12th

Registration Changes

Program/Module/Degree changes require the submission of a Change of Status form. These forms are available from the Dean's Office, WSC Room 191 and must be completed for:

  • Changes in academic load (e.g. full-time to part-time)
  • Changes of degree objective (e.g. honors to 3 year)
  • Changes in Faculty of registration
  • Complete withdrawal from university

Letter of Permission

Students apply to the Dean of their Faculty for a Letter of Permission to take courses at another university (a non-refundable fee of $50 is charged by the Registrar's Office).

Steps to take:

  • Visit the other university's website for a description of the course(s) that you wish to take
  • Print off the course description and have a Department Counsellor(s) evaluate it for equivalency with Western course(s)
  • Bring the approved course recommendation(s) to an Academic Counsellor in the Dean's Office to complete the paperwork
  • You must adhere to the other university's policy/deadlines for admission as a visiting student
  • Remember to have an official transcript transferred to Western upon completion of the course(s)

The following links provide more information on Letters of Permission.

Transfer of Credit to Western

Transfer of Credit to Another University