Counselling Resources

Academic Policies & Regulations FAQ's

Special Examinations

A special examination is any examination other than the regular or supplemental examinations, and may be offered only with permission of the Dean of the Faculty in which the student is registered in consultation with the instructor and Department Chair.

Permission to write a Special Examination may be given on the basis of compassionate or medical grounds with appropriate supporting documentation or for religious grounds for which sufficient notice in writing has been submitted.

These examinations are normally written no later than one month after the end of the exam period involved.

For information about examination conflicts (two exams concurrently, 3 exams in any 24-hour period) visit

Religious Accommodation

A student who is unable to write examinations and term tests on a Sabbath or Holy Day in a particular term shall give notice of this fact in writing to his or her course instructor and Dean as early as possible but not later than two weeks prior to the writing of the examination. In the case of mid-term tests, such notification is to be given in writing to the instructor as early as possible, but not later than one week prior to the writing of the test.

Click here for more information on Religious Holidays.

Absence due to Illness

  • Inform your instructor immediately, and
  • See an Academic Counsellor and provide supporting medical documentation as soon as you are well enough to come to campus.
  • Personal Illness: If you consulted Student Health Services regarding your illness or personal problem, you should visit the counselling office to complete a Records Release Form. Once your documentation has been received, assessed and approved by an academic counsellor, your instructor will be informed that academic accommodation is warranted.
  • If you were seen by an off-campus doctor, obtain a certificate from his/her office at the time of your visit. The doctor must provide verification of the severity of the illness for the period in question. Notes stating "For Medical Reasons" are not considered sufficient.
  • In Case of Serious Illness of a Family Member: Obtain a medical certificate from the family member's physician.
  • In Case of a Death: Obtain a copy of the newspaper notice, death certificate or documentation provided by the funeral director.
  • For Other Extenuating Circumstances: If you are not sure what documentation to provide, ask an Academic Counsellor.

Click here for more information on Absences Due to Illnesses.

Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities

The University works collaboratively with the student, instructor, department, Faculty and Services for Students with Disabilities in the Student Development Centre to provide accommodation when needed.

Click here for more information on Disability Accomodations for Students.

Student Academic Appeals

A student requesting relief relating to a specific course(s) (with respect to a mark, grade, appropriateness of assignment or examination, or grading practices) must proceed in the following order:

  1. Course instructor (informal consultation)
  2. Department Chair (submission of written request)
  3. Faculty Dean (submission of written request)

Click here for more information on Student Academic Appeals.