Counselling Resources

Academic Policies & Regulations FAQ's

Special Examinations

A special examination is any examination other than the regular or supplemental examinations, and may be offered only with permission of the Dean of the Faculty in which the student is registered in consultation with the instructor and Department Chair.

Permission to write a Special Examination may be given on the basis of compassionate or medical grounds with appropriate supporting documentation or for religious grounds for which sufficient notice in writing has been submitted.

For information about examination conflicts (two exams concurrently, 3 exams in any 23-hour period) visit

If the Office of the Dean, Faculty of Science, recommends a Special Examination Form be given to a student, both the student and instructor should be aware of the following:

  • A Special Examination must be written no later than 30 days after the end of the examination period.  Only under exceptional circumstances, and with Dean’s Office approval, may this period be extended. 
  • If a student fails to write a scheduled Special Examination, permission to write another Special Examination will be granted only with the permission of the Dean’s Office and with appropriate supporting documentation.   In such a case, the date of this Special Examination normally will be the scheduled date for the final exam the next time the course is offered.
  • Students should be aware that if a mark of SPC (Special Exam Privileges) appears on an academic record for a course that is a prerequisite to further courses(s), registration in the subsequent courses(s) will require special permission of the instructor and the Dean’s Office until the grade of SPC is replaced by a satisfactory grade. 
  • If a majority of courses taken in a given year show grades of SPC, registration in any further courses(s) will be subject to the approval of the Dean’s Office until all the SPC grades are replaced by satisfactory grades.

Religious Accommodation

A student who is unable to write examinations and term tests on a Sabbath or Holy Day in a particular term shall give notice of this fact in writing to his or her course instructor and Dean as early as possible but not later than two weeks prior to the writing of the examination. In the case of mid-term tests, such notification is to be given in writing to the instructor as early as possible, but not later than one week prior to the writing of the test.

Click here for more information on Religious Holidays.

Absence due to Illness

  • Inform your instructor immediately, and
  • See an Academic Counsellor and provide supporting medical documentation as soon as you are well enough to come to campus.
  • Personal Illness: If you consulted Student Health Services regarding your illness or personal problem, you should visit the counselling office to complete a Records Release Form. Once your documentation has been received, assessed and approved by an academic counsellor, your instructor will be informed that academic accommodation is warranted.
  • If you were seen by an off-campus doctor, please take a copy of this Medical Form and have your physician complete it.
  • In Case of Serious Illness of a Family Member: Obtain a medical certificate from the family member's physician.
  • In Case of a Death: Obtain a copy of the newspaper notice, death certificate or documentation provided by the funeral director.
  • For Other Extenuating Circumstances: If you are not sure what documentation to provide, ask an Academic Counsellor.

Click here for more information on Absences Due to Illnesses.

Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities

The University works collaboratively with the student, instructor, department, Faculty and Services for Students with Disabilities in the Student Development Centre to provide accommodation when needed.

Student Academic Appeals

A student requesting relief relating to a specific course(s) (with respect to a mark, grade, appropriateness of assignment or examination, or grading practices) must proceed in the following order:

  1. Course instructor (informal consultation)
  2. Department Chair (submission of written request)
  3. Faculty Dean (submission of written request)

Click here for more information on Student Academic Appeals.