Partners in Research National Awards - 2018
Partners In Research (PIR) is a registered Canadian charity founded in 1988 and supported by Western University. Its mandate is to increase understanding and support for research in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) and to foster greater interest among youth to casually, professionally, and academically pursue STEM.
The honorific PIR National Awards (PIRNAs) constitute a suite of six prizes recognizing excellence among Canadian researchers, as well as their commitment to promoting their research through public outreach. They will be given in May, 2017 at the PIR National Awards. Travel and accommodation will be provided for award winners.
Five PIRNAs recognize outstanding contributions and public promotion over a long period of time to particular fields, demonstrated by a substantial body of work. The awards are:
- Biomedical Science Ambassador Award
- Science Ambassador Award
- Technology Ambassador Award
- Engineering Ambassador Award
- Mathematics Ambassador Award
The sixth prize, the Ronald G. Calhoun Award for Health Science
recognizes a member of the community who has provided outstanding leadership over several years in support of health research.
Nominations can be submitted by a Dean, Vice-President (Research), or equivalent. For the Ronald G. Calhoun Award, community members can also nominate. Only one nomination per award will be accepted from a given institution. Western and the LHRI can each submit one nomination per award for a total of 12 (6 per institution).
A full nomination package will include:
- A one-page nomination letter describing the nominee’s contributions and the impact or potential impact of their contributions on their field and on Canadians’ quality of life.
- A one-page description of outreach activities of the nominee, including their participation in public education programs (not required for the Calhoun Award).
- A current CV
- Up to three other letters of support.
The nomination submission deadline is January 15, 2018. Nomination documents are submitted electronically.
Interested parties are encouraged to consult with Julaine Hall (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Research Development & Services regarding this award and the nomination process.