Research Development & Services Staff Contacts
Research Development & Services (RD&S) is a centralized office that provides the administrative infrastructure support to the University community for the facilitation and promotion of research activities at Western including grants and contracts. The primary role is to assist faculty members in gaining a competitive edge when it comes to external, internal and international funding proposals.
Director, Research Development
519-661-2111 x 85313
- oversees Research Development
- approves all research grants, contracts and agreements on behalf of the University
- works with the RD&S staff and University faculty to identify, facilitate, stimulate, and support the formation of large scale multi-investigator, multi-disciplinary, inter-university, and multi-institutional research initiatives.
- assists with grant development by interfacing with external entities such as funding agencies and internal entities such as Purchasing, Finance and Accounting, Institutional Planning and Budgeting and Physical Plant & Capital Planning.
Data and Systems Specialist
519-661-2111 x 84509
- Provides system support to clients using ROLA both in person and through the ROLA Helpdesk.
- Responsible for the collection and maintenance of Sponsored Research Funding data elements which support ROLA and RD&S Funding Opportunities.
- Works closely with all members of the Research Development & Services team analyzing current systems and business processes while developing a comprehensive strategy regarding data needs and collection.
- Assists with the provision of institutional and indicator reporting, and indirect cost distribution models.
Director, Contracts & Agreements
- Provides client-oriented services in support of research contracts involving industry and other partners at the University.
- Ensures that Western enters into only prudent contracts with industry and other partners for sponsored research.
- Reviews, drafts, negotiates terms, and finalizes sponsored industry, national and international research contracts and agreements for faculty researchers at the University.
- Responsible for agreement review, preparation and negotiation, for all types of contracts, including material transfer agreements (MTA), confidential disclosure agreements (CDA), contract research agreements (CRA), technical services agreements (TSA), licenses, etc.
- Responsibilities include analyzing legal contracts for compliance with Western's policies regarding publication, intellectual property, conflict of interest guidelines, Collective Agreement, and insurance policies to ensure the contract meets the University's standards for execution.
- responsible for the business operations and administrative management of the RD&S office, Ethics Office; including co-ordination of human resources for the unit.
- responsible for budget administration and management for Research Western.
Contracts Officer, International
- works with the institutional Inter-Institutional Agreements and works with researchers transferring to Western from other educational institutions.
- responsible for the management, preparation, evaluation and administration of international student exchange, research collaboration and student placement agreements.
- provides complete administrative support for the Educational Partnerships Advisory Council (EPAC)
Consultant, Awards & Distinctions
- works with faculty members across all disciplines to identify candidates for external awards.
- works with senior university administrations to develop long-term succession plans with the goal of ensuring continued success with major national and international awards.
- circulates information about awards and distinctions for which faculty members may be eligible.
- assists with the planning and development of award nominations.
Research Communications Manager
- coordinates communications, government relations, and media relations efforts that positively position research at Western.
- presents comparative data on research funding at Western.
- Western's research liaison to the external media and ensures that Western's Research story is heard locally, nationally and internationally.
- Coordination of data collection and record maintenance.
- Maintains award project records and files, tracks and reviews files for appropriateness and required documentation.
- Ensures the accuracy of award data, while facilitating the movement of Proposals to Awards.
- Produces standard reports and ad-hoc queries as required.
- Key contact for questions regarding the completion of the ROLA (Research On Line Administration) process.
Grants & Contracts Facilitator
- reviews and negotiates research contracts and agreements for non-industrial Sponsors of research at Western.
- provides advice and assistance to researchers and Sponsors and acts as a liaison between researcher and Sponsor, to ensure the Agreement falls within the parameters of Western's internal processes, procedures and ensures the agreement/contract meets the University's standards for execution.
- reviews and negotiates agreements and contracts to ensure that terms and conditions of the contract are acceptable for the protection of the interests of the researcher and the University.
Internal Grants Coordinator
- contact for Western's Internal Research Grants Programs.
- manages the coordination, administration and communication of all internally-funded programs administered through RD&S.
- liaises with the Office of the Vice President (Research and Internationalization), Faculty and the adjudication committees to ensure integrity and compliance to program guidelines and University policies.
- responsible for the coordination of research data collection and record maintenance specifically for the Internal Funding Programs managed through RD&S.
- manages the awards process for the TriCouncil Standard Programs (NSERC Discovery Grant and Research Tools & Instruments; SSHRC Standard Research Grants; and CIHR Operating Grants).
- maintains award project records and files, tracks and reviews files for appropriateness and ensures required documentation meets sponsor compliance for the above state programs.
- facilitates the flow of information to Research Accounting, interprets agency guidelines, and maintains established procedures for the above state programs.
Programs Administration Assistant
- provides front line support to the entire RD&S team, as well as engaging in ongoing activities to support the Research Development consultants.
- coordinates and administers all application submissions to the CFI (including the Infrastructure Operating Fund - IOF), the Ontario Research Fund (ORF), the Ontario Early Research Awards (ERA), the Canada Research Chairs, and international agency submissions, as well as administrating the communication of awards and incoming award documentation from the above agencies.
- assists researchers with the on-line application registration and any other on-line problems they may encounter.
- provides support and guidance to faculty members contacting RD&S and to direct each inquiry to the appropriate consultant.
- provides experienced administrative support
- responsible for drafting and negotiating Material Transfer Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements and Industrial Postgraduate Scholarship Agreements.
- provides proactive expertise to the research community in research administration and the delivery of research funding programs and inter-institutional agreements.
- knowledgeable of the multiple grant programs, researches new funding opportunities, and provides expertise in granting agency policies and application processes.
- handles all research programs with the exception of major institutional and strategic special initiatives and industry contracts, which are handled through Research Development and the Contract Research Team.
- provides review and assists with submission of detailed applications or proposals, review of same for internal and external policy compliance, creation and maintenance of inter-institutional agreements and sub-agreements, external pre-award compliance assurances, and internal approval vetting.
Consultant, Research Development
- works with all faculties to assist in the growth and development of Western's health sciences, life sciences, social sciences, engineering and humanities research portfolio.
- builds collaborative teams and assists in the development and implementation of research projects for a number of major grant programs, including CFI Leaders Opportunity Fund NSERC and CIHR
- assists faculty members access the various strategic initiatives that are periodically announced.
Director, Research Grants
- responsible for information management, business operations and support staff.
- interprets agency policies and guidelines translating them into standard policies and procedures.
- implements best practice development and standards into the RD&S business systems taking requirements of all parties into consideration.
- directly responsible for the processing of grant applications, file maintenance and retention procedures.
- manages ongoing maintenance and procedural documentation and ensures integrity of the data.
- designs and develops operational and statistical reports as required by the organization and VP (Research) and oversees the internal granting programs.
Consultant, Research Development
- focused on anumber of major grant programs, including CIHR, NIH, ERA and others.
- liaises with the CFI and MRI offices and takes an active role in developing inter-institutional research infrastructure projects.
- works closely with Western's Associate Deans - Research and applicants to develop the strongest proposals for submission and guides faculty members to find appropriate funding sources.
Senior Consultant, Strategic Initiatives, Research Development
- Develops strategic, multi-million-dollar research partnerships with academic, industry and government stakeholders
- Supports and assists Western's senior leadership team to achieve its strategic research objectives
Post-award Grants Facilitator
- Initiation of major research projects as detailed in approved applications, review of proposals for internal/external policy compliance.
- Liaise with external funding agencies for post-award compliance assurances, working closely with Research Finance, Contracts team, Procurement Services and Facilities Management.
- Coordinate budget development and award finalization on major institutional initiatives and strategic special initiatives, provides guidance regarding post-award management processes.