Western graduate students awarded $10M in external funding
In support of our commitments to expanding graduate enrolment and providing Canada’s best student experience, making competitive levels of financial support available to our graduate students is critically important.
During the 2007-08 academic year, some 725 Western graduate students received external awards totaling more than $10.1 million from five key funding sources. This compares favourably against the number of external award holders at our peer institutions both provincially and nationally.
The following figures breakdown the number of award holders studying at Western, and the cumulative value of their awards for the past academic year.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships: 294 recipients, with a total value of $3.1 million
- Social Science & Humanities Research Council grants: 187 recipients, with a total value of $3 million
- Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council grants: 156 recipients, with a total value of $2.8 million
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships in Science & Technology: 56 students, with a total value of $800,000
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research grants: 32 recipients, with a total value of $430,000