Wallets & Credit Cards
Personal Information is Valuable
The security of your wallet and credit cards is in your hands. You can do several things to ensure their safe keeping. The following tips may help to prevent the loss or theft of your wallet, credit cards and other valuable personal information.
- Make sure that your credit card is returned to you after each purchase transaction.
- Be wary of giving your credit card number over the phone.
- Ensure that duplicate or expired credit cards have been cut in half and thrown out.
- Destroy the carbons, but keep your receipts for your records. Cross reference them with your monthly bills.
- In the event of a lost or stolen card, notify your bank immediately . Credit card fraud can occur within minutes of a card being stolen.
- Be aware of where your cards are at all times
- Don't leave your wallet, knapsack or purse unattended, regardless of whether you are visiting the library, cafeteria, campus bar or working in an office. Use the lockers provided by the Campus bookstore or other secure location to store valuable items. Keep your wallet with you -- don't put it in your knapsack.
- Never keep your Personal Identification Number (PIN) for your banking or credit cards in your wallet.
- Always ensure that the UWO Registrar's Office has your current address.
Lost/Stolen Identification & Credit/Bank Cards
All pieces of lost or stolen identification should be reported to the police. Even if you believe that you have simply lost your wallet or credit cards report the loss to the Campus Police Office.
BANK CARDS - Notify your bank branch immediately for a replacement card. Be sure to change your PIN number.
CREDIT CARDS - Notify your credit card company immediately to cancel the card:
- Royal Bank -- 1-800-263-1811
- T.D. Canada Trust -- 1-800-268-9460
- CIBC -- 1-800-663-4575
- Scotia Bank -- 1-800-387-6556
- Bank of Montreal -- 1-800-263-2263
- Hong Kong Bank of Canada -- 1-800-361-3361
DRIVER'S LICENSE - Attend any local vehicle license issuing office in your area with two pieces of identification. A temporary license is issued for a fee of $10.
Area vehicle license offices are located at:
- 420 Talbot Street, London -- 519 438-5016
- 1790 Dundas Street East, London -- 519 455-1600
- 101 Cherryhill Boulevard, London -- 519 434-9390
- 2095 Wharncliffe Road South, London (Lambeth) -- 519 652-3222
- 920 Commissioners Road East, Unit 118, London -- 519 649-2461
BIRTH CERTIFICATE - Call 1-800-461-2156 or visit www.serviceontario.ca (if you were born in Ontario).
SOCIAL INSURANCE CARD - Call 1-800-268-7218. Visit 457 Richmond Street, London, Ontario.
ONTARIO HEALTH CARD - Call 1-800-268-1154 or attend 217 York Street 5th floor, London, with proof of citizenship, proof of residency and proof with a name and signature on it. Being able to provide your health card number would be helpful. There is no fee.
BELL CALLING CARD - Call 1-800-561-8888 immediately.
PASSPORT - Call 1-800-567-6868 and report it as lost or stolen.
WESTERN ONECARD - Visit Student Central in Room 1120, Western Student Services Building. There is a fee for replacement Western ONECards.
Please note that if your Western ONECard has a meal plan on it you should report it as lost/stolen to any cashier on campus or to Student Central and it will immediately be deactivated. You are responsible for all transactions or loss of funds prior to deactivation. If you find your card after it has been deactivated, you must have it reactivated at Student Central before it will work.
For more information, visit the Ontario Government's Losing Your Wallet web site.