Holiday Safety Tips
Some important reminders for when you are away from your residence:
- Lock the doors and windows to your residence and don’t hide a key under the door mat, rock, or some other obvious outside location;
- Take your laptop and other valuables with you if you are going home for the holidays;
- Contact Campus Police for electronic tracking support if your laptop is stolen;
- Do not publicly post that you will be out of town or away from your residence;
- Leave a low level light on inside when you are away and have the blinds partially closed;
- Arrange to have your sidewalk and driveway cleared of snow to give the live-in look;
- Ensure water is turned off inside your residence so outside faucets are not exposed to freezing;
- STOP the newspaper and other deliveries;
- Have a trusted friend pick up flyers and periodically check for water leaks, heat and security;
- Inform a trusted neighbour you will be away and to report any suspicious persons to the Police;
- Park your car near lighted areas and keep valuables in the trunk and out of sight;
- Walk with a partner or group and avoid unlighted areas at night;
- Be a good Neighbourhood Watch neighbour and report suspicious persons to Police, anytime.
Have a great holiday and we look forward to your safe return to campus.