Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Have a question? Please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
What health effects of ginseng are OGIRC Pre-Clinical researchers investigating?
- Increased metabolism and reduced adverse effects of obesity, metabolic syndrome and diabetes
- Enhanced immune system in healthy individuals and in those with immuno-depression
- Improvement of cardiac function
- Increased libido and sexual function
- Reduction of physical and mental stress
How are OGIRC Plant Biotechnology researchers improving Ontario-grown ginseng?
- A micropropagation technique has been developed that reduces ginseng's long production cycle, by one year
- Cohorts of genetically identical plants are being grown in preparation for phytochemical and pre-clinical studies of specific genotypes
What can the Phytochemistry researchers tell us about the strength and consistancy of the active compounds in Ontario-grown ginseng?
- The concentration of the active components in ginseng called ginsenosides have been investigated in plants from five Ontario farms
- The concentration of ginsenosides is higher in Ontario-grown plants than in cultivated plants from New York, Maryland, BC, and is also higher than in wild-grown populations
- The concentration of ginsenosides in ginseng plants is highly variable, and there is significant variation within a farmer's field as well as variation between farms
What new products are the Advanced Processing researchers developing?
- OGIRC engineers are considering several innovative ways to provide ginseng to consumers such as chewable tablets, dissolvable strips, and ginseng powder coating on capsules