Registration, Application and Pre-placement
When the co-op teacher and student agree that a PEL placement will meet the student’s experiential learning expectations, the student may qualify as a PEL applicant. The student will be given the following instructions and proceed with the competitive PEL application process. Each student must complete the following instructions, meet with the co-op teacher for a 2nd interview and then meet with the PEL directors. The co-op teacher will contact PEL to arrange a meeting with all PEL applicants before the last school day of May.
Instructions for each PEL co-op applicant:
- Review information on the PEL Program;
- Create a Google Account;
- Create a Gmail address with format: firstname.lastname@example.org ,e.g., email@example.com; and download Google Drive <http://www.google.com/drive/about.html>
- Print and complete the PEL Application from the website;
- Review the mark profile from PEL Application form with co-op teacher;
- Discuss the steps required to obtain a mandatory Police Check with the co-op teacher;
- Discuss the possibility of producing a mandatory inoculation record (flu vaccine and TB test) with co-op teacher;
- Copy and complete the summary registration spreadsheet that is provided by the teacher. This Excel template is e-mailed to the teacher upon request.
- Name preferred workplace location(s), i.e., North Central South of city which minimizes travel time;
- Name and ask your teacher to order the letter(s) that represent your interest in
Science (C, P, B, CS), Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine disciplines on the summary form;
- Name the faculty or faculties that you will set as a priority when applying to university, e.g., Science, Health Science, Engineering or Medicine and Dentistry.
- Browse the following websites for ideas to help focus workplace interest:
CaRTT Program (Cancer)
Vascular Research Program
Tutor Program (Family Medicine)
JuMP Program (Musculoskeletal Health)
Lawson research themes
Canadian Centre for Activity & Aging
Children's Health Research Institute
Critical Illness Research Program
Western Health Sciences
Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
13. Create a resume, submit for edit by the teacher and upload the 3 page PEL Application to the PEL Dropbox.
Also from this web page: