- January 19, 2018In the ongoing case of Indian athlete Ms Dutee Chand, the Court of Arbitration in Sport has extended by another six months the suspension of Hyperandrogenism Regulations developed by the International Association of Athletics Federations. The IAAF had tabled revised and additional Regulations intended only to apply to women's track races between 400 metres and one mile.
- January 17, 2018Several US women gymnasts, including top Olympians Gabby Douglas and Simone Biles, were among the dozens of young girls sexually abused by former team doctor Larry Nassar. Several athletes voiced strong criticism of the lack of support from US Gymnastics.
- January 17, 2018Beginning January 22, the Court for Arbitration in Sport will hear the cases of 39 Russian athletes suspended by the IOC Disciplinary Commission for doping infractions connected to participation in the 2014 Sochi Winter Games.
- January 17, 2018North and South Korea have confirmed they are to field a joint women’s ice hockey team and will march under a pro-unification flag at next month’s Winter Olympics.
- January 11, 2018Kent Hehr, Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, visited the International Centre for Olympic Studies, expressing a particular interest in ICOS' position on the benefits and disadvantages of hosting the Olympic Games.
- January 09, 2018North Korea will send a delegation that includes athletes, high-ranking officials, art performers, and reporters to the 2018 Winter Olympic Games. The decision is considered a diplomatic breakthrough amid rising tensions over North Korea's nuclear programme.
- January 03, 2018In a first for African sports, the Nigerian women's bobsled team has qualified for the 2018 Olympic competitions. The women team's entry marks the first-ever participation of an African team in Olympic bobsled competitions.
- January 01, 2018Calling for urgent meetings between North and South Korean sports leaders, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un announced in his New Year's Day speech that he is considering sending a delegation to the 2018 Winter Olympics.