Finding Your Way
How Do I ... Connect
to the 'uwosecure-v2' wireless network with a Symbian Phone
This document outlines the configuration required for Windows 8 to connect to the uwosecure-v2 wireless network.
Make sure that your Western Identity Manager password has been synchronized here.
Note: Western does not provide support for Symbian
setup/installation. This document is provided as general
reference only and is not confirmed to be working for all Symbian devices.
1. Push the 'Menu' button, then select 'Tools', and then 'Settings' application.
2. Select the 'Connection' menu, then select 'Access Points'.
3. Select 'Options', then choose 'New Access Point', and select Use default settings.
4. Enter the following settings for the connection:
Data bearer: Wireless LAN
WLAN netw. name: Enter manually -> uwosecure-v2
Network status: Public
WLAN netw. mode: Infrastructure
WLAN security mode: 802.1x
5. Click on
the 'WLAN security settings'. menu and ensure that 'WPA mode' is set to EAP.
Now open the
'EAP plug-in settings' menu.
6. You will now be
presented with a list of EAP protocols. Only 'EAP-PEAP' should
be enabled and moved
to the top of the list. (Select EAP-PEAP in the list, push 'Options' and then Enable. Then, use Raise Priority
to move it to the top of the list). All other protocols should be disabled.
7. Now select 'EAP-PEAP', push 'Options', and then select 'Configure'. Enter the following settings for 'EAP-PEAP':
certificate: leave as (not defined)
CA certificate: select Thawte Primary Root CA
User name in use: User-configured
User name: your Western username
Realm in use: User-configured
Realm: [leave blank]
Allow PEAPv0: Yes
Allow PEAPv1: No
Allow PEAPv2: No
8. Now select
the 'EAP' tab. Only 'EAP-MSCHAPv2' should
be enabled and moved to the top of the list. (Select
'EAP-MSCHAPv2' in the list, push 'Options' and then Enable. Then, use Raise Priority to move it to the top
of the list). All other protocols should be disabled.
9. Now select 'EAP-MSCHAPv2', push 'Options', and then select 'Configure'. Enter the following settings for 'EAP-MSCHAPv2':
Username: your Western username
Prompt password: No
Password: your Western password
10. Now push 'Back' until you are at the 'Standby' screen. You should now be connected to the 'uwosecure-v2' wireless network.