Finding Your Way
How Do I ... Connect to the 'uwosecure-v2' wireless network using Windows XP (all versions)
This document will help you setup your wireless adapter to connect to the uwosecure-v2 network using Windows XP (all versions).
Make sure that your Western Identity Manager password has been synchronized here.
1. Click 'Start'.
2. Click 'Control Panel'.
3. If your window looks like the following, click 'Switch to Classic View'.
4. Double-Click on 'Network Connections'.
5. Right-Click the 'Wireless Network Connection' icon and click 'Properties'.
6. In the 'Wireless Network Connection
Click the 'Wireless Networks' tab
Check mark 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings'.
In the 'Preferred Networks' section:
7. In the 'uwosecure-v2 properties' window:
in the 'Association' tab:
Enter the 'Network Name (SSID)': uwosecure-v2.
Choose 'WPA2-Enterprise' from the 'Network Authentication' drop down menu.
Choose 'AES' from the 'Data encryption' drop down menu.
Note: The recommended 'encryption type'
for uwosecure-v2 is AES. However, some laptops
may not be able to support this encryption type due a limitation of their network card. In
these cases you may want to try and connect using TKIP.
8. Click the 'Authentication' tab.
9. While in the 'Authentication' tab:
EAP (PEAP)' from the 'EAP Type' drop down menu
10. From the 'Protected EAP Properties' window:
Check mark: 'Connect to these servers:'
Check mark these 3:
Thawte Premium Server CA
Thawte Premium Server CA
thawte Primary Root CA
Under 'Select Authentication Method:'
11. Within the 'EAP MSCHAPv2
Uncheck 'Automatically use my Windows logon name and password ...'.
12. Click 'OK' to close all the boxes.
Within the next minute or so, in the system tray (at the right bottom corner of the screen), you will see the following:
13. Within the 'Enter Credentials' window, enter the following:Username: your Western username
Password: your Western password
Logon Domain: Leave blank
14. Click 'OK'.
15. After closing the 'Enter Credentials' window, the 'Validate Server Certificate' box will pop up.
16. Click 'OK'.
To Ensure that it is connected, first follow steps 1 to 4 (above).
Looking at 'Wireless Network Connection' icon within the 'Network Connections' window:
If it indicates Authentication Succeeded under the icon, you are connected properly.
it indicates Validating Credentials, just wait for a while and it
should change its status
to success if log on properly.
Note: If you have any difficulty with this, please contact the ITS Help Desk in the Support Service Building.