Finding Your Way
How Do I ... Setup Mac Mail for Western Email
This document explains how to setup and use Mac Mail for Western email.
The first thing you will need to do is create an account in Mac Mail.
1. Open Mac Mail.
2. Click on 'Preferences' from the Mail menu in the top toolbar.
3. Click on the 'Accounts' tab.
4. Within the 'Accounts' tab click on the plus (+) sign in the bottom left corner to create your new account.
Once you have done this a dialog box will appear allowing you to begin entering your general account information.
5. set the 'Account Type' to IMAP
6. Enter your user name and UWo email address.
7. Click 'Continue'.
8. Set the incoming mail server to 'imap.uwo.ca'
9. Enter your username and password.
10. Click 'Continue'.
11. Set the outgoing mail server to 'smtp.uwo.ca'.
12. Make sure 'Use Authentication' is checked and enter your user name and password.
13. Click 'Continue'.
14. An account summary will appear. Click 'Continue'.
15. A dialogue will appear saying you have successfully created your account. Click 'Done'.
16. Select your newly created account from the left-hand sidebar.
17. Click on the 'Advanced' tab.
18. Set the IMAP path prefix to "mail".
19. Set the port to 993.
20. Make sure that 'Use SSL' is checked.
Within “Accounts” (see steps 1-3 if not already in the “Accounts” tab)
Select your IMAP mail account from the left hand sidebar
Click on the “Mailbox Behaviors” tab
You will see a number of settings regarding storage of your mail messages. You can set your account so that your Sent, Drafts, Trash and Junk messages remain on the server, or locally on your computer. Additionally, you can specify within what time period (if any) you would like these messages automatically deleted.
1. Click on the ‘Account Information’ tab.
2. Click within the ‘Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)’ drop-down box.
3. Click on ‘Edit Server List’.
4. Make sure that there are no entries named smtp.uwo.ca, then click ‘Done’.
5. Click within the ‘Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)’ drop-down box.
6. Click ‘Add Server’.
7. Set the server port to 587.
NOTE: Outgoing server (SMTP) ports available for this connection are 587 or 465. Some of Internet Service Providers are deliberately blocking some ports. If your computer cannot make SMTP port connection with one of the ports, please try another one.
8. Check ‘Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)’.
9. Enter your user name and password.
10. Click ‘OK’.
11. Make sure you save the changes when closing the Preferences Window.
You have now successfully set up your Mac Mail for Western Email!