What would you like to PUBLISH in Cascade?
1. Navigation Sub-Folders appear under Navigation Folders and should only be used if you have a multiple files to add to the folder. Ensure that you have selected the correct Navigation Folder to place your Navigation Sub-Folder.
2. Click Add Content and then choose Folder and then choose Navigation Sub-Folder.
3. Enter the appropriate data into the Title field (i.e. Contact Us) and click Submit.
4. A new Sub-Folder will appear in your folder list. Now you need to create an index page for this Navigation Sub-Folder.
5. Every Navigation and Sub-Navigation folder requires a Navigation Index page. To create one, click on Add Content, then Page, then Navigation Index Page:
6. Leave the System Name as 'index'. Give the page a title (eg. Eighteenth Century History) - this is the text that appears in the navigation. Indicate whether you want this item to show in the top navigation and/or in the left navigation on landing (or secondary content pages). If you wish to have a different page title than indicated in the Title field, enter it in the Alternative Page Title field. Add the content for this page now, or you can choose to do so later. Click Save & Preview then Submit.
You will see the index file associated with the Sub-Folder in your folder list:
Please create a JIRA ticket at jira.uwo.ca with the following information before publishing your site for the first time:
- Do you have a current website?
- If so, what is the url? Do you wish to keep this site? Have you arranged to have it backed up and archived?
- What web server are you publishing to?
- If it is not the Western web server, who maintains it? What operating system is it running?
Good times to Publish
You can publish a single page or an entire folder any time you wish. If you need to publish your entire site, there are some guidelines to follow. Publishing your entire web site at once, either for the first time or after significant changes have been made, should be started by 7 a.m. or after 4 p.m. on weekdays. Alternatively, you could publish the entire site at once during the evening or on the weekend. Adhering to these timeframes, assists everyone else who may experience slower response times in Cascade while your complete site publishes.
If you choose to publish your complete site prior to 7 a.m. on weekdays and any issues arise, support staff will be available to assist you beginning at 8:30 a.m., you can then follow up with the Cascade Team after 8:30 am the same day if there are problems. Otherwise, you must wait until the following day when someone will be available to assist you.
Please note the following only applies if you are publishing to your own departmental server, etc. You do not need to worry about this is you are publishing to the Western web server.
If you have a firewall enabled on your sftp server, please ensure port 22 is open for
- gz10cms1.its.uwo.pri 172.29.7.57
- gz11cms1.its.uwo.pri 172.25.140.15
- gz24cms1.its.uwo.pri 172.29.7.73
- gz24cms2.its.uwo.pri 172.29.7.77
- gz25cms1.its.uwo.pri 172.29.7.72
Benefits of Publishing to the Western Web Server
- Don't require your own server
- No worries about acquiring, maintaining and backing up your own server
- Reduced cost for hardware, maintenance and licensing
- Don't need to worry about opening up firewalls
Please note: If you use (or intend to use) scripting that is not supported on the Western web server, you MUST publish to your own server. For more information regarding this, please create a JIRA ticket at jira.uwo.ca in the Web Support project.
PLEASE NOTE: You should only publish your Base Folder before 7 a.m. or after 4 p.m. This publishes your entire site and can cause publishing to be slow for others if you do this at peak usage times during the day.
1. Select the Folder or Page that you would like to publish:
2. The Folder/Page will open in View mode. Click on the Publish tab:
3. The following screen appears: (Note: your Page Configurations and Destination will be specific to your site. Please select the destination that is most suited to you)
4. Click on the Submit button.
5. A green message box will appear at the bottom right screen. You can click the box to view the publishing queue.
7. If you miss the message, you can also view the publishing queue by clicking on the hamburger menu in the topbar.
8. Once you go to the publishing queue, you will see a page like this where you can track the file's progress:
9. When your publishing job clears the queue, click the Cascade logo on the topbar to be redirected to your dashboard.
10. Under the Notification widget, you can view your messages. Your file has been successfully published if you see a message referring to 0 issues. If issues are noted, you can click on the message to see what the problem was. You will need to correct the problem before your file will be successfully published.
1. Select the Folder or Page that you would like to Unpublish:
2. The Folder/Page will open in View mode. Click on the More tab followed by Unpublish:
3. Click Submit:
4. Your unpublish job will be in a queue. You can access the queue by clicking on the green box that appears in the lower bottom centre of the page after you click Submit.
5. On your Dashboard, under the Notification widget, you can view your messages. Your file has been successfully unpublished if you see a message referring to 0 issues. If issues are noted, you can click on the message to see what the problem was. You will need to correct the problem before your file will be successfully published.
Setting up Transports and Destinations - How to set up transports and destinations to publish your sites
PLEASE NOTE: Not every site will need to have Transports and/or Destinations set up by the Site Manager. In most cases, the Web Support group within WTS will be able to do this for you. These instructions are intended for Web Server administrators who manage a faculty or department web server on campus.
To set up your TRANSPORT:
1. Click on the Manage Site option on the topbar.
The following screen will appear where you can select Go to Transports:
You can also select Transports from the Side Navigation.
2. Once you click Transports, the following screen will appear (although your list of available transports may be slightly different or may be completely empty):
3. Click on Add -> Transport.
The following screen will appear:
4. Choose FTP and SFTP and click the Choose button. The following screen form will appear:
5. Complete the information on this screen with the appropriate data from your web server. An example of a completed form is below:
6. Make sure that you test your new Transport by clicking on the Test Connection button.
You should then be directed to a new screen. Click the Start Test button.
The following screen should appear:
If you do not see Test Successful, you will need to check your settings from step 5. You will not be able to successfully publish if there testing of the transport is not successful.
To set up your DESTINATION:
1. Choose Destination from from the side menu if you have just completed setting up your Transport.
Or you can select Destinations from the main navigation menu from Manage Sites option in the top bar.
The following screen will appear (although your list of available destinations may be slightly different or may be completely empty):
2. Click on Add -> Destination.
The following screen will appear:
3. Complete the information on this screen with the appropriate data from your web server and your Transport. You will need to allow access to any applicable group that needs to publish your site. In most cases that will be whatever groups you see listed in the Access Not Allowed box. Simple click on the group(s) and then click on the green arrow to move them to the Access Allowed box. An example of a completed form is below:
4. Make sure that you test your new Destination by clicking on the Test Destination button.
The following screen should appear:
5. You do not need to change any settings. Simply click the Start Test button. The following screen should appear:
If you do not see Test Successful, you will need to go back and check your settings from step 3. You will not be able to successfully publish if the testing of the destination is not successful.
Published on and maintained in Cascade CMS.