What would you like to CREATE or ADD to your site in Cascade?
Top Level Navigation Folder - create a top-level navigation folder and corresponding index page that will appear in the purple bar on all pages.
1. To create a new Top-Level (main) navigation item, first you need to create a Navigation Folder:
- click on Add Content
- choose Folder from the dropdown
- select Navigation Folder from the flyout
2. Enter the Navigation Title in the Title field (eg Contact Us). You can add information in other fields if you like but it is not necessary. You MUST have the 'Include in Top and Footer Navigation' set to Yes if you want the folder to be available in your top navigation. Click Submit.
3. A new folder will appear in your folder list:
4. Every Navigation Folder and Sub Navigation Folder requires a Navigation Index Page. To create one, click on Add Content, choose Page from the dropdown and then choose Navigation Index Page:
5. Leave the Page Name as 'index'. Give the page a title (e.g. Contact Us) - this is the text that appears in the navigation. You MUST have the 'Include in Top and Footer Navigation' set to Yes if you want the folder to be available in your top navigation. If you wish to have a different page title than indicated in the Title field, enter it in the Alternative Page Title field. Add the content for this page now, or you can choose to do so later. Click Save & Preview and then Submit.
6. Once a Navigation Index Page has been created, the navigation item will appear in the navigation menu (e.g. Contact Us):
1. Navigation Sub-Folders appear under Navigation Folders and should only be used if you have a multiple files to add to the folder. Ensure that you have selected the correct Navigation Folder to place your Navigation Sub-Folder.
2. Click Add Content and then choose Folder and then choose Navigation Sub-Folder.
3. Enter the appropriate data into the Title field (i.e. Contact Us) and click Submit.
4. A new Sub-Folder will appear in your folder list. Now you need to create an index page for this Navigation Sub-Folder.
5. Every Navigation and Sub-Navigation folder requires a Navigation Index page. To create one, click on Add Content, then Page, then Navigation Index Page:
6. Leave the System Name as 'index'. Give the page a title (eg. Eighteenth Century History) - this is the text that appears in the navigation. Indicate whether you want this item to show in the top navigation and/or in the left navigation on landing (or secondary content pages). If you wish to have a different page title than indicated in the Title field, enter it in the Alternative Page Title field. Add the content for this page now, or you can choose to do so later. Click Save & Preview then Submit.
You will see the index file associated with the Sub-Folder in your folder list:
Once Navigation Folders, Navigation Sub-Folders and index pages have been created, any additional pages within a folder are Content Pages.
1. To create a Content Page click on Add Content - Page - Content Page.
Staff Listing/Directory Page - create a page to list all of your staff or faculty with standardized information
1. Before creating a Staff Listing page, you must have a Staff Listing block created. We recommend creating a copy of the existing block in the block folder (_cms/xhtml/blocks) for each staff listing page. See "Copying Blocks" below for more information.
2. Click "Edit" for the staff listing block. Fill out the required information for each staff member such as Name, Phone, Position, and upload a photo. Click Save & Preview then Submit once you are finished.
3. You now have the information needed to create the page. Click Add Content - Page - Staff Listing Page.
4. Find the section on the page called Staff Listing Information. Click the arrow to open the section. Leave Display set as Yes. Add the new Staff Listing Block that you created in steps 1 and 2.
5. The completed staff listing page will look something like this:
External Link - create an external link to an outside webpage that will appear as a navigation item in your top or side navigation.
1. Click Add Content - Page - External Link:
2. Enter the complete url you wish to use into the Link section and the correct Title you wish to use. Make sure you are putting the link into the correct Placement Folder before clicking Save & Preview to view the page. Then if you are satisfied, click Submit:
Your new external link will appear in the left folder structure as well as having the web page display on the centre portion of the screen.
Reference Link - create an internal reference link as a navigation item in your top or side navigation.
1. Click on the page you want to reference, then click on More and choose Reference from the drop down list:
2. Browse to the folder that you want the link to appear.
3. Click Submit.
4. You will now see the asset you wanted to link TO is showing within the folder where you wanted to link FROM and, as a result, is showing as a navigation item within that folder.
1. Copy the url of the xml Calendar feed for your unit. To do so:
- Go to the Event Calendar homepage of your unit (e.g. http://www.events.westernu.ca/events/your-unit/)
- Locate and click on the RSS feed button next to the title of the calendar.
- Copy the URL of the RSS feed.
2. Once you have the url, create a jira ticket in the Web project requesting a block and format be created for this feed.
You need to indicate how many events you want to appear on the page as well as where you want the feed to go. You have 4 choices:
- in the centre of your index page in the left column
- in the centre of your index page in the right column
- in the centre of your index page full column width
- in the right sidebar of your index page
If you require help creating this jira ticket, please see Get More Help.
3. WTS will create the block and format and put them in the appropriate place on your page. Once the page has been set up you will need to republish it on a daily basis to ensure that your calendar feed stays current.
Important Note: in order to effectively utilize the xhtml accordion block, please contact WTS to set it up for you.
- The information on the accordion is stored on the xhtml block accordion listing found in _cms/blocks/xhtml.
- Click Edit. You can fill in the title of accordion question, a brief summary of an answer, and the answer. Once you are statisfed, click Save & Preview and Submit.
- Click Add Content > Page > Accordion Page
- Once you have filled in the title and any other content you wish on the page, go to Accordion Listing Information and fill in the Accodrion Listing Block with the accordion you edited in step one and two.
- Click Save & Preview and then Submit. You should then be able to see the accordion.
1. To add images or PDFs to your web page, you must first upload it from your own computer to your site in Cascade.
2. Click on Add Content, then Page and then choose PDF or DOC:
Uploading Tip #1: Click on the folder location prior to starting the upload steps and the correct folder will already be chosen for you.
3. You do not need to enter a File Name, the file will retain the name it had on your computer. In the Placement Folder field, specify the folder you want to upload the file to.
4. Click the Drop a file here or choose one from your computer to either choose the file from your computer or you can drop the file into the same box.
5. Once you have chosen or dropped your file, click the ellipses next to the Save & Preview to click Submit to commit the upload.
If your Display Name information was not added to your site when it was created, you will need to be set it PRIOR to creating any pages within your website. If this is not done, any pages created prior to it being set will have to be edited individually and clicking on the Metadata tab.
The Display Name is the wording that appears in the browser tab before Western University on any page on your site. In most cases it appears between your page Title and Western University.
All pages will show 'Page Title - - Western University' on the browser tab (with Page Title being replaced with the actual page title when you create the page). This has been set at the template level and cannot be changed. To complete the metadata, you must add your site name (e.g. Faculty of Science).
Depending on your site, the Display Name field will either be under the Metadata tab or in the Inline Metadata section on the Content tab.
1. To set the Display Name for your site, you must edit each page in your base assets folder (_cms/base assets):
2. Choose a page, then click Edit and then click Metadata. The Display Name field will appear.
3. Add the Display Name to each of your base assets and this information will transfer automatically to each page that you create on your site.
1. Your site contains a number of master blocks that you can copy in order to create the specific block that you need. Blocks are found in the _cms/blocks/xhtml folder on your site.
2. Click on the block that you would like to copy:
3. The block is now in View mode. Click on the More tab and select Copy. Enter a new name for the block in the New Block Name box. Alternatively, you can right click and choose Copy.
Copying Tip #1: Keep the beginning of the block name the same (e.g. staff listing) and add a descriptor (e.g. staff listing help desk, staff listing main office). This way all your staff listing blocks will be displayed sequentially in your folder listing and will be much easier to find.
4. Click Copy to complete the process. You should now see a green box at the bottom left corner telling you the copying was successful and a listing similar to this:
5. Your newly created block will need to be added to the appropriate page.
1. You may wish to add or remove the 'left nav optional' block to/from your website.
2. If you wish to add the block to your website, you first must edit the block (titled "left nav optional"):
3. Then, edit each of your Configuration Sets (click on Manage Site Content then Configurations - DO NOT EDIT 'Right Sidebar' and 'Right Sidebar with Slide Show' - as you do not want the block to appear on your site index page) to link to this block in Left Navigation Optional so that it will appear on your website pages.
4. If you want to remove the block from your website, remove the link to this block in the step above.
5. If you wish to only add the this block to one or a couple of pages in your website, you can edit the Outputs on each page separately.
Published on and maintained in Cascade CMS.