The Globalink Research Award program offers senior undergraduate and graduate students at Western the opportunity to receive funding up to $5,000.00 each to participate in 12- to 24-week research projects at accredited universities in the following Mitacs partner countries: Brazil, China, India, Mexico, Turkey and Vietnam.
See the detailed program guide on the Mitacs website.
Graduate students, senior undergraduate students and faculty members in any faculty may initiate an application. The program at Western is jointly administered by Western International (WI), School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) and the Office of Research Development & Services (RD&S).
There is no application deadline; however, the application process must commence 12-14 weeks prior to travel date in consultation with WI (Undergraduates) or SGPS (Graduates) via email@example.com
1. An interested graduate or undergraduate student (Student) identifies:
2. In collaboration with both the Home and Host Supervisors, the Student develops a project proposal and completes the Mitacs Proposal Application.
3. Once the Proposal Application is complete, the Home Supervisor, or the Student, submits it to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval by WI (Undergraduate Students) or SGPS (Graduate Students)
4. Once the application has been reviewed and approved, WI or SGPS notifies the Student and the Home Supervisor (CC: Mitacs) informing them that the application has been endorsed.
5. Either the Student or Home Supervisor then submits the application documents to Mitacs by email.
6. If accepted, both the Student and Home Supervisor receive a letter of conditional acceptance from Mitacs.
7. The Student and Home Supervisor then complete the rest of the application process as instructed on the Mitacs website.
8. Prior to departure, the Student must contact Western International and:
9. The completed forms and application are submitted to Mitacs by Western International.
10. Funds are released only after the application receives final approval from Mitacs. Travel is not permitted before final approval.
Please read the section on “Eligibility, Roles and Responsibilities” on the Mitacs website which details the expectations of the Student, the Home Supervisor and the Host Supervisor.
Note that regions of the 6 Mitacs partner countries are subject to official travel advisories placed by the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development. If you have questions about Western student safety abroad, or about your destination, contact Lise Laporte in Western International email@example.com
The award funds (up to $5000.00) will be applied to the student account. The funds are to be used for direct costs related to traveling to the research location and accommodations. See the Expense Guidelines on the Mitacs Program Guide website.
Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Program administration for:
Undergraduate Students: Lise Laporte, Western International email@example.com
Graduate Students: Paula Menzies, School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies firstname.lastname@example.org