International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

United States Visitor Visa (B1/B2)

International students planning on traveling to the United States for personal travel or to attend a conference will need a U.S. Visitor’s Visa if they are a citizen of a country that is currently not part of the U.S. Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

How to Apply for a U.S. Visitor Visa

All applicants in Canada between the ages of 16 and 60 intending to apply for U.S. Visitor Visa while in Canada will need to apply in person at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. Those in London, Ontario should schedule an interview at the U.S. Consulate in Toronto. To apply in person, you must first make an appointment.

Step 1: Fill out the DS-160 Application Form

Step 2: Schedule an interview appointment with the U.S. Consulate in Toronto:.

Students are advised to make an appointment and apply for their U.S. Visitor Visa well in advance of their planned trip to the United States as it can sometimes take several weeks or months to get an appointment date.

Step 3: Prepare for and attend the in person interview

You can view current visa processing times online.

Additional information on applying for a U.S. Visitor Visa:

U.S. Visa Information Session

Every year in the Fall term, the International and Exchange Student Centre hosts a U.S. Visa Information Session. This session will include topics such as visiting, studying and working temporarily in the U.S. It will cover different U.S. Visa classifications such as “B1/B2” (business/pleasure), “F & J” (student and exchange visitors), “H” (temporary worker) and “TN” (NAFTA professionals). The presentation will be followed by a question and answer period. This session is presented by representatives from the U.S. Consulate General in Toronto.

For exact dates and times, please visit our events page.

Studying or Working in the U.S.

For information on applying for a visa to study or work in the United States, please visit the U.S. Department of State.