International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Temporary Resident Visa - Apply from within Canada

Who Needs Temporary Resident Visa to Enter Canada?

View our information on who needs a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada.

Where to Apply?

International students currently residing in Canada with a valid Study or Work Permit who wish to apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) must apply to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa.3 Students can apply online or by mail. If you have applied for a Study Permit extension, you can only apply for a TRV only after your Study Permit extension has been approved.4

If you are currently outside of Canada, you must apply at the Canadian Visa Office or the Canadian Visa Application Centre (VAC) serving your country or region of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted.

How to Apply?

Visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada's information on applying for a Temporary Resident Visa from within Canada for detailed instructions, including application forms, list of documents required, fee payment instructions, etc.

  1. Determine your eligibility to apply for a TRV from within Canada.

  2. Read the Applying for a Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Instruction Guide (5256) before you begin your application.

  3. Check CIC's application processing times. It can take weeks or months to process an application. Apply early!

  4. Decide how you will apply.
    1. Apply online. You will need access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies, and a credit card.

      Tip: IESC has binders with step-by-step information about online application procedures. Sign out the binders for use at the IESC during our office hours.

    2. Apply by mail.

      An application kit includes the following:
      • Document Checklist for Applicants in Canada [IMM 5721]
      • Application Form [IMM 5257]
      • Family Information Form [IMM 5645]
      • Schedule 1 (if applicable) [IMM 5257 - Schedule 1)
      • Other forms if applicable: Use of Representative Form and Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union

  5. Prepare all of your forms and documents.

    If you are applying by paper, use the Document Checklist for Applicants in Canada [IMM 5721] from the application kit to find out which documents are required.

    If you are aapplying online, the list of required documents for your application will be generated in your MyCIC account.

    Be sure to provide all of the required documents to avoid any delays in your application.

    Tip: One of the required documents is a current letter from Western University stating that you are a registered student. The document checklist may also require you to provide a transcript.

  6. Pay your application fee.

    "[P]ay your fee a few days before you mail your application (credit card companies may need up to five business days to validate your payment)."5

    The Case Processing Centre in Ottawa will only accept the following method of payment:
    • Pay your fees online with a credit card. You will need to include a copy of the receipt with your application.6

      "The CPC-O will not take any other forms of payment, including money orders, certified cheques or bank drafts."7

  7. Review and submit your application.
    Make sure that your application is complete and signed before submitting it, otherwise CIC will return or reject your incomplete application.

    If you are applying online do not print and sign your application form. Instead of a handwritten signature, you will be asked to provide an electronic signature after you have uploaded all required documents to your MyCIC account.

    Before submitting your application, it is strongly recommended to make a copy of your application, along with the documentation that you will be submitting, to keep for your records.

    If you will be applying by mail, follow CIC's specific mailing instructions for the Case Processing Centre-Ottawa.

    If you will be applying online, follow the online instructions.

    Note: If you apply online, CIC will send a message to your MyCIC account when they are ready to issue the visa. At that time, you will be instructed to mail your passport to the Case Processing Centre - Ottawa. Do not send your passport until you receive this message from CIC.

Do I Need to Provide my Biometrics?

Find out if you need to provide your biometrics (photograph and finger print).

Useful Information