International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Study Permits for Family Members

An accompanying spouse or common-law partner of a full-time international student holding a valid study permit may apply for a study permit from abroad or from within Canada if he/she also wishes to study in Canada during your stay.

If your spouse intends on enrolling in a program of study that is less than 6 months in duration, your spouse may study without a study permit while on visitor status.

Your spouse/common-law partner must demonstrate that they will be a genuine student. It is recommended that your spouse provide evidence an offer of admission into a program of study and have sufficient funds to pay for tuition. You will also have to show that your family has sufficient funds for living expenses.

Minor Children

Please note that minor children (under 18 years of age) who are already in Canada on visitor status, accompanying a parent who holds a valid work or study permit, are authorized to study in Canada without a study permit (in other words, they may study while holding visitor status). However, minor children applying from abroad with the principal temporary resident (the student at Western) should apply for a study permit before entering Canada as required by the visa office.  Having a study permit will allow your child to apply for study permit extensions and a TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) renewal from within Canada if needed. A letter of acceptance for a primary or secondary school should not be required for accompanying dependents.   It may be beneficial to bring school records from home for the past 2 years for any minor children, to have available for the school board in Canada.

Application to Study in Canada, Study Permits (applications made from OUTSIDE of Canada)

Most individuals are required to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada. However, there is an exception for family members of international students who are already inside of Canada. They may apply for a study permit from within Canada. Please see link below.

Application to Change Conditions or Extend your Stay in Canada as a Student  (applications made from INSIDE Canada – for extension of existing permits, and for those who meet the exception for applying for an initial study permit from within Canada)