International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Student Responsibilities

Requirement to Actively Pursue Your Studies

Study permit holders in Canada must actively pursue their program or course of study while in Canada. This means that you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program or course of study.  The program or course of study may be full-time or part-time. Please note however that part-time students are not eligible to work on-campus or off-campus and reducing your course load could make you ineligible for the postgraduate work permit (PGWP) program.

 Educational institutions are required to report to IRCC on your continued enrolment and academic status. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may ask you to provide evidence of your continued enrolment and academic status and can issue a removal order against you if you fail to comply with the conditions of your study permit.

If you Transfer to Another Institution (Changing DLI's)

 If you are transferring to Western University from another institution, or if you are leaving Western University to transfer to another institution, you must notify IRCC about your change of Designated Learning Institution (DLI), even if you are continuing in the same level of study.

 You can notify IRCC about your change of DLI through your MyCIC Account (GCKey) online. You will require information from your study permit application (e.g., Application Number, Expected start and end dates of study). If you are not able to successfully change your DLI through your MyCIC Account (GCKey), you can notify IRCC of your change of DLI through the IRCC Web Form. Please go to:

 If you are thinking about changing your DLI, or have already done so, please ensure that you continue to meet the conditions of your study permit, as well as the conditions that allow you to work, should you wish to work during your stay in Canada.  You must maintain full-time student status in a program of at least 6 months in order to work on or off-campus.

Validity of Your Study Permit

Your study permit expires on the expiry date shown on the permit or 90 days after you have completed your program of study, whichever comes first.  If you switch to a shorter-term program or finish your studies early, your study permit will expire 90 days after your study program has been completed even if the permit doesn’t expire until a later date. Your program is considered complete when you receive your final transcript and written notification of program completion (not the convocation ceremony). This does not apply to you if your study permit application was received before June 1, 2014, or if you were issued a study permit before June 1, 2014.

Please click here for more information.