International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

My Study Permit Expired

My Study Permit Expired After I Applied for an Extension

"If your study permit expires after you have submitted your application for an extension but before you receive a decision on your application, you can stay in Canada under what’s called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. That status lasts until CIC decides on your new permit application. However, you must respect the following requirements.

If you applied for another study permit:

If you applied for a different kind of permit:

If you have applied to extend your study permit and plan on traveling outside Canada while your application is in process, you can leave Canada and come back. However, one of three things will happen when you return to Canada:

Note: It is possible that you will not be able to enter Canada. The final decision is made at the border by the border services officer."

My Study Permit Expired and I DID NOT Apply for an Extension

Students who did not apply for an extension of their Study Permit before it expired should read CIC’s instructions for restoration of status.

"If your temporary resident status has expired, do not apply for an extension as you are not eligible. However, if you wish to stay in Canada after your status has expired you may apply for restoration of status within 90 days of your permit expiry date or leave Canada."2

Restoration of Status - Expired Study Permits

Note: The application for restoration does not guarantee restoration of student status.  It is therefore critical to apply for renewal of the Study Permit prior to the expiration date.

“In some cases, you may apply to restore your status as a student [or worker] within 90 days of losing it. You may only apply if you have continued to meet the requirements under which you were allowed to enter and stay in Canada and you have met all the conditions imposed on your permit.

After you apply to restore your status, you may stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application but you are not allowed to study [or work] until your status has been restored.

There is no guarantee that your application to restore your status will be accepted. On your application, you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that caused you to lose your status.

In addition to a fee for renewing your study permit, there is also a fee for restoring your status. The fee is required for each family member who has lost status. To find out about application fees, go to Pay my application fees.”3