International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Extend Your Study Permit

International students who are studying at Western University for more than six months, must have a valid Study Permit that will allow you to study at a post-secondary institution in Canada.

Please view important information if you will be a new student at Western University: 

Know When Your Study Permit and Passport Will Expire!

It is important to know when your study permit will expire. If your studies require you to remain in Canada beyond the expiry date of your study permit, you must apply for an extension before it expires.

Ensure that your passport is valid until the end of your study period. If you need to obtain a new passport, begin applying four to six months before it expires.

When Should I Extend my Study Permit?

“Check the expiry date on your Study Permit, and make sure you apply before that date. You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires.”2

Students may wish to apply for an extension two to three months prior to the expiry date. It is important to plan in advance and consider the current processing times.

“If you are in Canada and need to extend your Study Permit and renew your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), submit a separate application for the new TRV to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa (CPP-O) only after CIC has approved the extension of your Study Permit.”3

How Do I Extend My Study Permit?

See our information on how to extend your Study Permit.

Extending the Status of your Family Members

Note: If your spouse/common-law partner and/or children are in Canada with you, apply to renew all relevant documents for each family member at the same time as your Study Permit extension.

“Each member of your immediate family (spouse or common-law partner, dependent children) who wishes to remain longer, study or work in Canada must apply for permission to do so. If you all apply at the same time for an extension, each person has to submit a separate application form. All appropriate documentation and the required fee for each person must also be included.”4

Your Responsibilities as a Student

View important information on your responsibility as an international student:

Did Your Study Permit Expire?

View important information on what to do if your study permit has expired.

Taking a Break From Your Studies?

View important information on taking a break from your studies and how that affects your Study Permit and status in Canada.