International & Exchange  Student CentreWestern International

Money and Taxes

Protect Yourself Against Fraud

Download and read The Little Black Book of Scams, published by the Competition Bureau Canada, for information on how to understand if and when you are the target of deceptive practices (e.g., internet, phone or charity scams, pyramid schemes, etc.) and how to protect yourself.

Paying Your Tuition and Fees

Western provides a variety of payment methods to students, including GlobalPay for Students which allows you to pay tuition and fee through a bank to bank transfer in the currency of your choice in an efficient and inexpensive manner. It is important for you to pay your tuition on time to avoid late penalty charges. Please visit the Office of the Registrar for more information.

Making a Budget

We have built a table to better assist you with your budget planning. It is always good for you to keep tracking your expenses. If you have further questions regarding to your financial stress, please contact the International and Exchange Student Centre office.

Financial Assistance

Western offers financial assistance to international students through scholarships, bursaries, work opportunities and emergency loans. Please select an option from the left navigation. To speak to someone on the phone or in person about financial assistance offered by Western, contact Student Financial Services or contact us at the International and Exchange Student Centre.

International Student Work Opportunities Program (I.S.W.O.P.)

The International Student Work Opportunities Program (I.S.W.O.P.) is a work study program for international undergraduate (main campus degree) students designed to provide financial assistance through paid part-time employment on the campus. The program provides international undergraduate students with the opportunity to gain and enhance skills, obtain work experience in a Canadian context, engage with the campus community and enhance their experience of studying and living in Canada.

Income Taxes in Canada

As an international student, any income you earn while in Canada (employment, scholarships, bursaries, teaching/research assistantships, fellowships, investments, etc.), is subject to Canadian Income Tax. Meanwhile, international student also entitles to all kinds of Canadian Tax Credits.  You can ask your tax related questions at IESC at anytime.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that is required for every worker in Canada. Please visit Social Insurance Number page for more information.