French and Francophone Cultures:
Syllabus - Click here to download
French 1900E or French 1910 or French 1999 or permission of the Department of French Studies.
This course aims at presenting the Francophone world and culture through a discussion on the very concept of “La Francophonie” (origin, meaning and institution) and on cultural and historical topics about each one of its institutional regions, from the French Guyana, in South America, to the Pacific Ocean Islands, for example. As a supplement to the course’s textbook, articles and audio-visual material will be used.
At the end of this course, students will:
- Get a general picture of Francophone cultures throughout the world, and
- Have a good understanding of the geo-political and institutional aspects of “La Francophonie”.
- Jackson, Noutchié Njiké. Civilisation progressive de la Francophonie (Niveau intermédiaire), Clé international, 2003.
- There will also be additional material on Owl
- 4 Tests : 40%
- Participation : 10%
- Projet de recherche : 30%
- Présentation orale : 20%