Syllabus - TBA
Prerequisite: Permission of the Department of French Studies based on the Placement Test
Antirequisite: Ontario Grade 11 / Grade 12 French or equivalent. French 1003AB.
French 1002 (Beginner level) is an intensive course designed for students with little or no experience of French. This course works in conjunction with French 1010 (Intermediate level) to prepare students for first-year university French, (French 1910, 1999 or 1900E), and possible DELF A1 or A2 certification.
French 1002 begins in English with the basics of grammar and its terminology. We then move on to an active learning approach, calling on you to use your critical thinking skills and participate actively in the process of discovering the French language. This will include the four skills approach of listening, reading, writing and speaking in French. There is a weekly Tutorial session which supplements in-class instruction.
By the end of the course, students will be expected to:
- be able to recognize and identify basic grammatical terminology.
- use the four skills to understand and use familiar everyday expressions and basic phrases in French aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- introduce him/herself and others, and ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
- interact in a simple way if the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
DISTRIBUTION OF MARKS (subject to change)
|5 Chapter Tests @ 7%||35%|
|2 Listening Comprehension Tests @ 5%||10%|
|1 Oral Test||5%|
|1 Final Composition||5%|
|Classroom Attendance and Participation||10%|
|Tutorial Attendance and Participation||5%|
1. En bons termes package, Parmentier, Potvin, 10th edition, (Pearson)
The package contains the following 2 components:
(1) En bons termes Textbook
(2) MyFrenchLab Access Card
2. French 1002 Coursebook, 2017/2018 - Available at UCC Bookstore.
Auditing is not permitted.