Importing Licenses and Permits

Materials of Animal/Microbial Origin

The University holds a blanket permit from Agriculture Canada which allows importation of certain materials of animal or microbial origin from suppliers within the continental U.S.A.

The following is a general listing of materials that require a permit to be issued prior to importation:

Biological materialsSerums and Vaccines
Blood, blood and serum fractions, serumsTissue Cultures
Plants and plant productsFungi
Living microorganismsSnails
Viruses and infectious substancesEggs

This is not an all inclusive listing. The Customs and Traffic section should be contacted prior to ordering any material not included in the blanket permit so that application may be made, where required, for single entry permits.

Permits issued by Agriculture Canada are to be affixed, in an obvious manner, to the outside of packages arriving in Canada. The permit number must appear on all Purchase Orders, invoices and shipping documents.

Failure to have proper authorization prior to import may result in the seizure and confiscation of materials by Agriculture Canada.

Export Permits

Under the Export Import Permits Act, the Government of Canada controls the export and import of various goods as set out in annexed lists to this act. The general groups under export control are as follows:

  1. Animals and agricultural products;
  2. Wood and wood products;
  3. General purpose industrial machinery and electronic devices;
  4. Transportation equipment;
  5. Metals, minerals and their manufactured products;
  6. Chemicals, metalloids and petroleum products;
  7. Arms, munitions, military, naval or air stores;
  8. Atomic energy materials and equipment;
  9. Goods originating outside Canada;
  10. Miscellaneous goods and materials; and
  11. All goods shipped to destinations named in the Area Control List.

The Customs and Traffic section reviews all export information forms to ensure the provisions of this act are met. Failure to apply for authorization to export controlled articles could result in the seizure and forfeiture of the articles shipped. In addition, this act provides for substantial penalties for persons violating any of its provisions.

Enquiries concerning the export of goods from Canada should be directed to the Customs and Traffic Section.


The University holds a licence (renewable annually) issued by Revenue Canada, Customs and Excise, to possess and operate stills.

Regulations require that all new stills be registered on delivery from a Supplier and also that Revenue Canada, Customs and Excise be informed prior to any still being dismantled, destroyed, or moved to another location.

The Customs and Traffic Section is responsible for securing renewal of the licence, registration of new stills, and informing Revenue Canada, Customs and Excise of any changes.

Departments having stills are requested to inform the Customs and Traffic section of any change so that appropriate action may be taken to comply with the regulations.

Ethyl Alcohol

The University purchases all ethyl alcohol on a duty out basis. To qualify for this benefit, ethyl alcohol must be used in research. End users are required to maintain accurate records of all spirits purchased and used, or disposed of in any manner, and retain those records for a period of six years from the date of purchase. The Customs and Traffic Section should be contacted for further information concerning the requirements of these regulations.

Radioactive Material

The University holds a consolidated licence from the Atomic Energy Control Board that provides for use of radioactive material and purchase from domestic and foreign suppliers.

The Personnel Department - Safety Section is responsible for renewal and amendments to the licence and retention of certain information in conformance with the licence agreement.

All Purchase Requisitions for radioactive material must therefore be routed through the Safety Section for approval prior to issue of the Purchase Order.

Further information regarding internal permits and use of radioactive material may be obtained from the Safety Section.