Please note: the graduate program in Film Studies at Western is currently on hiatus. We are not accepting applications at this time.
The admission deadline is February 1st. Applications can be considered after that date only if places are still open.
Admission to the M.A. program requires that the students submit the following documents:
- An official transcript of undergraduate study from each post-secondary institution attended. Transcripts issued in a language other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations.
- Three letters of reference attesting to the candidate’s academic ability and qualifications. (You supply the contact information for your referees, and an invitation will be sent automatically to them and they will submit their reference online)
- Official TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB score, if English is not the student’s first language, taken within the past two years. (TOEFL minimum: 630 (paper), 287 (electronic) or 109 (internet); IELTS minimum: 8.0; MELAB minimum: 91 overall, with a minimum of 85 on each of the three parts, plus the oral/speaking component.) Applicant must have testing service send score electronically to Western.
- A writing sample (e.g. a sample term paper of 10-15 pages).
- A statement of interest (300-500 words approximately).
This material is reviewed by the MA committee in the Department and each reviewer presents a short list of preferred candidates. A master shortlist is then compiled and applicants on the list are contacted by the Graduate Chair or a designated Faculty member. The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies sends out offers of admission and handles all administrative aspects of registration.
The application fee for Film Studies is $100 and is payable at the time of application.
Department of Film Studies
University College Room 79
The University of Western Ontario
1151 Richmond Street
London, ON N6A 3K7