Office: IGAB 0N60
Phone: 519-661-2111 ext. 86164
Fall/Winter 2017-18 Office Hours: Tuesday 1-2:30 pm | Wednesday 3:30-5 pm and by appointment
Areas of Interest:
American cinema history, international queer cinema, African-American cinema, film theory, television studies, critical race studies, feminist and queer theory, genre theory, audience/reception studies, cultural studies, and theories of stardom.
- articles on race, masculinity, and sexuality in film and television in Camera Obscura, The Velvet Light Trap, and Masculinity: Bodies, Movies, Culture (Ed. Peter Lehman, Routledge, 2001).
- Book reviews and encyclopedia entries in Michigan Germanic Studies, Encyclopedia of Men and Masculinities, and Encyclopedia of International Contemporary GLBTQ Culture.
Honors and Distinctions:
- Recipient of the Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender and Women's Studies Dissertation Fellowship (2001)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in English at Cornell University (2003)
- Chair of Programming for ImageOut, the Rochester Lesbian and Gay Film and Video Festival (1998-2001),
- Assistant Film Programmer for George Eastman House (1999-2001).
Works in Progress:
Unmaking Macho: Race, Gender, and Stardom in 1970s American Cinema and Culture (forthcoming from the University of Minnesota Press) and The Baltimore Projects, which examines the use of Baltimore in film and television for the exploration of American identity and urban culture through the lens of racial, ethnic, and class conflict.