PhD University of Iowa
Office: AHB, Room 1G31
Phone: 519-661-2111 ext. 87895
Fall/Winter 2017-18 Office Hours: Tuesday and Wednesday 12-1 pm and by appointment
Areas of Interest:
Film Studies, Cultural Studies, Asian Studies. Research interests in World Cinema, especially Japanese cinema: the transition to sound, wartime image culture, and the Japanese new wave. Media convergence of Japanese cinema, popular music, and publication culture; the participatory culture of fandom in Japan. Subtitling as an historical practice and an aesthetic problem in the relation between text and image in the cinema. Developing "digital humanities" tools for teaching and research in film studies.
Work in Progress:
In progress: The Cinema of High Economic Growth: New Japanese Cinemas, 1955-1964.
Book manuscript on the Japanese New Wave in the context of the youth-oriented program pictures of the 1950s and 1960s.
Under contract: The Culture of the Sound Image in Prewar Japan (University of Amsterdam Press)
Co-edited with Johan Nordstrom. An anthology of articles on the media archeology of sound in prewar Japan, with special reference to the cinema.
- Forthcoming: "The Insect Woman" in David Desser and Lindsay Coleman (Eds.) Clients, Killers and. Kindred Spirits: The Taboo Cinema of Shohei Imamura
- Forthcoming: "The Japanese Musical" in Alastair Philips and Fujiki Hideaki (Eds.) The Japanese Cinema Book (BFI)
- Forthcoming:" A New Form of Silent Cinema: Intertitles and Interlocution in Ozu Yasujiro's Late Silent Films" in The Cinema of Ozu, "Reorienting Ozu: The Cinema of Ozu and His Influence" (Oxford UP)
- 2016: "Kayō eiga to media mix" [Popular Song Films and the Media Mix] in New Vistas: Japanese Studies for the Next Generation (Kyoto: Nichibunken, 2016)
- 2015 "Yasuzo Masumura: Studio Cinema as a Social Act" in Directory of World Cinema: Japan 3, John Berra (Ed.) (Intellect)
- 2015 "Oshima Nagisa: Paradox and Perversion in the 1960s Avant-Garde" in Directory of World Cinema: Japan 3, John Berra (Ed.) (Intellect)
- 2014 "'Nan no, soshite dare no tame ni' : Sengo Eikoku ni okeru Nihon eiga no juyo no saikosatsu" ["What is the use of this, and for whom?" : A reconsideration of the reception of Japanese cinema in post-war Britain] Gengo Bunka 30 (Meiji gakuin daigaku)
- 2014 "From Hybridity to Dispersion: film subtitling as an adaptive practice" in Media and Translation: An Interdisciplinary Approach (Bloomsbury)
- 2014 "Adaptation" in The Oxford Handbook of Japanese Cinema (Ed. Daisuke Miyao)
- 2012 "Introduction to Matsumoto Toshio" and translation of Matsumoto Toshio. "Zen'ei kiroku eiga ron" [On Avant-Garde Documentary] in Cinema Journal 51.4
- 2007 "Modernization without Modernity: Masumura Yasuzo's Giants and Toys", in Julian Stringer and Alastair Philips (Eds.) Japanese Cinema: Texts and Contexts. Routledge
- 2001 “Japan as Punishment Room in Ichikawa Kon’s Shokei no heya” in James Quandt (Ed.), Ichikawa Kon (Cinematheque Ontario)
- 2000 “Ishihara Yujiro: Youth, celebrity, and the male body in 1950s Japan,” in Dennis Washburn and Carole Cavanaugh (Eds.), Word and Image in Japanese Cinema (Cambridge UP)
- From summer 2017 I am co-editor of The Journal of Japanese and Korean Cinema with Jinhee Choi (King's College London, UK) (Taylor and Francis).
- I curated the film series Japan Sings! at Japan Society, New York in 2016 <http://www.japansociety.org/programs/film/japan-sings-the-japanese-musical-film>
- I lectured in 2014 and 2015 on the Summer Program of the Interfaculty Initiative in Information Studies at the University of Tokyo.
- I am a member of the editorial collective for Kinema Club, the online web portal for Japanese film studies <http://kinemaclub.org/>
- 2016: NEAC Research Travel Grant, Association for Asian Studies for research on the transition to sound at the University of Tokyo
- 2015: Faculty Research Development Fund grant to develop the book project The Culture of the Sound Image in Prewar Japan
- 2015: Faculty Mentoring grant to bring Professor Tom Lamarre to campus.
- 2014-5: International Curriculum development grant to fund an archive of anime for a class on Japanese animation.
- 2013: SSHRC Internal Research Grant to research prewar sound culture in Japan
- 2013: SSHRC Internal Travel Grant