PhD University of Warwick
Office: IGAB 0N56
Phone: 519-661-2111 ext. 80496
Areas of Interest:
Latin American and Argentine cinemas; film history; historical representations and the relationship between film and historiography; women’s cinema and questions of gender representation; documentary filmmaking.
I am also a documentary film producer.
I am currently supervising a graduate student working on the history of the Oscars in the best foreign language film category from a historiographic perspective. In the past, I have supervised the research work related to questions of national and gender identity for the script of a feature length film (now in post-production) concerned with such matters. I would welcome enquiries from graduate students interested in any of the above mentioned areas of interest.
- Burucúa, M.C. Confronting the Dirty War in Argentine Cinema, 1983-1993. Memory and Gender in Historical Representations. London: Tamesis Books, 2009.
- Burucúa, M.C. et al. “New Latin American Cinema and Authorship: Old Wine in New Bottles?” Hispanic Research Journal, Vol. 9, Nº 2, 2008.
- Burucúa, M.C. “El Melodrama en América Latina” [Melodrama in Latin America], Cuadernos Hispanoamericanos, No. 679, January 2007.
- Burucúa, M.C. Generando la historia: la Guerra Sucia en el cine de y por mujeres [Gendering History: Argentina’s Dirty War in Films by and for Women], in Carman, J. and Krieger, C. (eds.), Cuadernos de Cine Argentino. La Imagen Como Vehiculo de Identidad Nacional. Buenos Aires: Instituto Nacional de Cine y Artes Audiovisuales (INCAA), 2005.
- El Cerrito (researcher and producer)
- Reverón, el espectáculo del genio (researcher and producer)
- La reina del pueblo (researcher and producer)
- Villanueva, el Diablo (producer)
Honors and Distinctions:
- XXVIII Bogota Film Festival (Colombia), 2011. Best film in the category of Documentary on Art
- for Reverón, el espectáculo del genio
- IV Festival de Cine Latinoamericano y Caribeño Margarita (Venezuela), 2011. Honorary mention to La Reina del Pueblo.
- LASA Award of Merit in Film (2010) for La Reina del Pueblo
- Dean's Travel Award - University of Western Ontario
- University of Warwick Research Fellowship – UK, 2001-2004
- Overseas Research Students Grant – UK, 2001-2004
- British Council Fellowship, 2000-2001
- Fundación Antorchas Fellowship, 2000-2001
- Agencia Española de Cooperación Iberoamericana (AECI) Fellowship, 1998
Work in Progress:
I am currently working on the translation into Spanish of my book on post-dictatorship Argentine cinema and, as a separate project, on the work of Argentine film producer Lita Stantic.
In terms of film production, Villanueva, el Diablo is in its final stages and 23 de Enero de 1958 is in post-production.