Anita Kothari, PhD
School of Health Studies
Room 222, HSB
519 661-2111 x81302
- PhD (McMaster)
- BSc, MHSc (Toronto)
- Core Faculty Member - Joint Graduate Program in Health Information Science
- Cross Appointment - Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Supervising Graduate Students
- Knowledge translation and exchange
- Focuses on community-based organizations (public health units, homecare, early childhood development centres) as unique settings
- Evidence-informed decision making by practitioners, managers and policy makers - creating and testing strategies like communities of practice, networks, knowledge management tools; investigating the role of tacit and explicit knowledge
- Public health services
- Renewal of public health - study of policy interventions in public health, novel methods for public health research (social network analysis, concept mapping, intersectional analysis), complex adaptive systems theoretical lens
- Part of first research team in Canada funded by CIHR to develop the field of public health services research (includes government decision makers from two provinces)
- The Knowledge to Action Study
- Research Associate - National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools in Public Health
- Research Affiliate - Population Health Improvement Research Network
- Knowledge Translation
- Health Promotion
- Methods: Multilevel Modelling, Social Network Analysis
- CIHR New Investigator Award: 2010-2016
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Career Scientist Award: 2005-2010
- Kothari, A., Gore, D., MacDonald, M., Allan, D., Bursey, G. & Scarr, J. (2013). Chronic disease prevention policy in British Columbia and Ontario in light of public health renewal: A comparative policy analysis. BMC Public Health 13, 934.
- Sibbald, S., Wathen, N., Kothari, A. & Day, A.M.B. (2013). Knowledge flow & exchange in interdisciplinary health care teams: an exploratory study. Journal of the Medical Library Association, 101(2), 128-137.
- Sibbald, S.L., McPherson, C. & Kothari, A. (2013). Ontario primary care reform and quality improvement activities: an environmental scan. BMC Health Services Research, 13(1).
- Gore, D. & Kothari, A. (2013). Getting to the root of the problem: health promotion strategies to address the social determinants of health. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 104(1), e52-e54.
- Kothari, A. & Wathen, N. (2013). A critical second look at integrated knowledge translation. Health Policy, 109(2), 187-191.
- Gore, D. & Kothari, A. (2012). Social determinants of health in Canada: Are healthy living initiatives there yet? A policy analysis. International Journal for Equity in Health, 11, 41.