Dave Walton, PhD
- BScPT, MSc, PhD (Western University)
- Graduate Program in Health & Rehabilitation Sciences
Supervising Graduate Students
- Prognosis in acute whiplash
- Prevention and treatment of chronic pain
- Scale design and development
- Quality of life in chronic pain
- Teaching methods to foster empathetic and reflective critical thinkers
- Hand and Upper Limb Centre Clinical Research Lab - St. Joseph's Hospital
- Lawson Health Research Institute
- Head and Neck, Shoulder, Arm (HaNSA) Research Group - McMaster University
- Pain and Quality of Life Integrational Research Lab
- Understanding pain in physical rehabilitation
- Foundations of Physical Therapy
- Manual and Manipulative Therapy
- FHS Teaching Award of Excellence - 2007, 2010
- Irish Pain Society Pain Research Medal - 2008
- Co-founder & Past-Chair, Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division
- Fellow - Canadian Academy of Manipulative Physical Therapists
- Associate Editor, Health and Quality of Life Outcomes
- International Editorial Review Board member, Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy
- Walton DM, Levesque L, Payne M & Schick J. (2014). Clinical pressure pain threshold testing for neck pain: comparing protocols, responsiveness, and association with psychological variables. Physical Therapy, Jun, 94(6), 827-837.
- Carlesso LC, MacDermid JC, Gross AR, Walton DM & Santaguida PL. (2014). Treatment preferences amongst physical therapists and chiropractors for the management of neck pain: results of an international survey. Chiropractic & Manual Therapies, Mar, 22(1), 11, doi:10.1186/2045-709X-22-11
- Shi Q, Sinden K, MacDermid JC, Walton DM & Grewal R. (2014). A systematic review of prognostic factors for return to work following work-related traumatic hand injury. Journal of Hand Therapy, Jan-Mar, 27(1), 55-62.
- Walton DM, MacDermid JC, Russell E, Koren G, Van Uum S. (2013). Hair-normalized cortisol waking response as a novel biomarker of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity following acute trauma: a proof-of-concept study with pilot results. Pain Research and Treatment, 2013;2013:876871, doi: 10.1155/2013/876871
- Walton DM, Carroll LJ, Kasch H, Sterling M, Verhagen AP, MacDermid JC, Gross A, Santaguida PL, Carlesso L & ICON. (2013). An overview of systematic reviews on prognostic factors in neck pain: Results from the International Collaboration on Neck Pain (ICON) project. Open Orthopedics, 7, 494-505.
- Walton DM, MacDermid JC, Taylor T & ICON. (2013). What does ‘recovery’ mean to people with neck pain? Open Orthopedics, 7, 420-427.
- Walton DM, MacDermid JC, Santaguida L, Gross A, Carlesso L & ICON. (2013). Results of an international survey of practice patterns for establishing prognosis in neck pain: the ICON project. Open Orthopedics, 7,387-395.
- Walton DM, Eilon-Avigdor Y, Wonderham M & Wilk P. (2014). Exploring the clinical course of neck pain in physical therapy: A longitudinal study. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 95(2), 303-308.
- Elliott JM, Rademaker A, Parrish TB & Walton DM. (2013). Quantification of cervical spine muscle fat: a comparison between T1-weighted and multi-echo gradient echo imaging using a variable projection algorithm (VARPRO). BMC Medical Imaging, 13, 30, doi:10.1186/1471-2342-13-30
- Chesworth BM, Hamilton C, Walton DM, Benoit M, Blake T, Bredy H, Burns C, Chan L, Frey E, Gillies G, Gravelle T, Ho R, Holmes R, Lavallee RLJ, MacKinnon M, Merchant A, Sherman T, Spears K & Yardley D. (2014). Reliability and validity of two versions of the upper extremity functional index. Physiotherapy Canada, 66(3), 243-253.