Dave Walton, PhD
- BScPT, MSc, PhD (Western University)
- Graduate Program in Health & Rehabilitation Sciences
Supervising Graduate Students
- Prognosis in acute whiplash
- Prevention and treatment of chronic pain
- Scale design and development
- Quality of life in chronic pain
- Teaching methods to foster empathetic and reflective critical thinkers
- Hand and Upper Limb Centre Clinical Research Lab - St. Joseph's Hospital
- Lawson Health Research Institute
- Head and Neck, Shoulder, Arm (HaNSA) Research Group - McMaster University
- Pain and Quality of Life Integrational Research Lab
- Understanding pain in physical rehabilitation
- Foundations of Physical Therapy
- Manual and Manipulative Therapy
- FHS Teaching Award of Excellence - 2007, 2010
- Irish Pain Society Pain Research Medal - 2008
- Co-founder & Past-Chair, Canadian Physiotherapy Association Pain Science Division
- Fellow - Canadian Academy of Manipulative Physical Therapists
- Associate Editor, Health and Quality of Life Outcomes
- International Editorial Review Board member, Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy
- Gross, A.R., Kaplan, F., Huang, S., Khan, M., Santaguida, P.L., Carlesso, L.C., MacDermid, J.C., Walton, D.M., Kenardy, J., Soderlund, A., Verhagen, A. & Hartvigsen J. (2013). Psychological care, patient education, orthotics, ergonomics and prevention strategies for neck pain: A systematic overview update as part of the ICON project. Open Orthopaedics, 7, 530-561.
MacDermid, J.C., Walton, D.M., Cote, P., Santaguida, P.L., Gross, A. & Carlesso, L.C. (2013). Use of outcome measures in managing neck pain: An international multidisciplinary survey. Open Orthopedics, 7, 506-520.
Peloso, P.M., Khan, M., Gross, A.R., Carlesso, L., Santaguida, P.L., Lowcock, J., MacDermid, J.C., Walton, D.M., Goldsmith, C., Langevin, P. & Shi, Q. (2013). Pharmacological interventions including medical injections for neck pain: an overview as part of the ICON project. Open Orthopaedics 7, 473-493.
Santaguida, P.L., Keshavarz, H., Carlesso, L.C., Lomotam, M., Gross, A., MacDermid, J.C. & Walton, D.M. (2013). A description of the methodology used in an overview of reviews to evaluate evidence on the treatment, harms, diagnosis/classification, prognosis and outcomes used in the management of neck pain. Open Orthopedics, 7, 461-472.
Graham, N., Gross, A.R., Carlesso, L.C., Santaguida, P.L., MacDermid, J.C., Walton, D.M. & Ho, E. (2013). An ICON overview on physical modalities for neck pain and associated disorders. Open Orthopaedics, 7, 440-460.
MacDermid, J.C., Walton, D.M. & Miller, J. (2013). What is the experience of receiving health care for neck pain? Open Orthopaedics, 7, 428-439.
Walton, D.M. & MacDermid, J.C. (2013). A brief 5-item version of the Neck Disability Index shows good psychometric properties. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 11, 108.
Walton, D.M., Giorgianni, A.A., Mascarenhas, J.C., West, S.C. & Zammit, C.A. (2013). Risk factors for persistent problems following acute whiplash injury: update of a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 43(2), 31-43.
Walton, D.M., Wideman, T.H. & Sullivan, M.J. (2013). A Rasch analysis of the Pain Catastrophizing Scale supports its use an interval-level measure. Clinical Journal of Pain, 29(6), 499-506.
Walton, D.M., Balsor, B. & Etruw, E. (2012). Exploring the causes of neck pain and disability as perceived by those who experience the condition: a mixed-methods study. ISRN Rehabilitation, 2012.
Walton, D.M. & Elliot, J. (2013). A higher-order analysis of the properties of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia-11 item version in people with neck pain. Physical Therapy, 93, 60-68.