Curriculum and Progression Requirements
Western University and Fanshawe College have partnered to offer students a four-year collaborative BScN. The first two years of the program are offered simultaneously at both Western and Fanshawe, with 125 students at each location. All students study at Western for final two years of the program.
For more information about the courses listed below, consult the Western Academic Calendar.
- Nursing 1060 - Foundational Concepts of Professional Nursing I
- Nursing 1160 - Foundational Concepts of Professional Nursing II
- Nursing 1070 - Health Promotion and Caring for Self, Colleagues and Clients I
- Nursing 1170 - Health Promotion and Caring for Self, Colleagues and Clients II
- Nursing 1080 - Holistic Health Assessment I
- Nursing 1180 - Holistic Health Assessment II
- Health Sciences 2330 – Human Anatomy
- Physiology 1020 - Human Physiology
- Writing 1030 - Writing for Professional Success in Nursing
- Nursing 2220 - Health Promotion & Caring: Families and Communities
- Nursing 2221 - Professional Practice: Families and Communities
- Nursing 2230 - Health Promotion & Caring: Supporting Health
- Nursing 2231 - Professional Practice: Supporting Health
- Nursing 2240 - Introduction to Health Informatics Within Nursing
- Nursing 2250 - Ways of Knowing: Research
- Pathology 2420 - Pathology for Nursing
- Pharmacology 2060 - Introductory to Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Elective - Philosophy or Women’s Studies recommend
- Nursing 3310 - Health in Global Context
- Nursing 3340 - Ways of Knowing: Data Analysis
- Nursing 3910 - Health Promotion & Caring: Clients with Health Challenges I
- Nursing 3920 - Health Promotion & Caring: Clients with Health Challenges II Professional
- Nursing 3911 - Professional Practice: Clients with Health Challenges I
- Nursing 3912 - Professional Practice: Clients with Health Challenges II
- Nursing 3913 - Professional Practice: Clients with Health Challenges III
- Microbiology & Immunology 3820 - Microbiology and Immunology for Nursing
- Nursing 4320 - Professional Ethical and Legal Obligations: A Critical Appraisal
- Nursing 4400 - Advanced Concepts for Professional Practice
- Nursing 4410 - Professional Practice: Clients with Complex Health Challenges
- Nursing 4440 - Future Directions for Nursing & Health Care
- Nursing 4461 - Professional Practice: Integrative Practicum
- Electives (equivalent to 1.0 FCE)
The above is the normal course load. In exceptional circumstances and only with special permission of the Dean, (special permissions may be issued by the Academic Counsellor on behalf of the Dean), a student may make modifications to this course load.
All students in the BScN Program must:
- Successfully complete all courses for each year of the program before proceeding to the next year's clinical courses.
- Complete the program within seven academic years calculated from the initial date of registration in the School of Nursing.
- Meet the progression requirements and maintain clinical skills from prerequisite nursing courses at a satisfactory level.
- Submit documentation for all medical and non-medical pre-placement requirements