Special permissions may be issued by the Academic Counsellors on behalf of the Dean. In some cases a recommendation is required from the department concerned.
- The normal full time course load is 5.0 courses. Balanced over the two terms so that you are attending no more than 5.0 full or half courses at a time. The Academic Counsellor may give you special permission for an overload (5.5 or 6.0 courses) if you have a strong academic record. Students should have at least a 75% on the prior year full load with each grade at least a ‘C’.
- If you are not eligible for an overload in first term, you may qualify for one in second term if you can show us in December that your term grades are in the 75 range.
- Extra courses may only be added during the add/drop period – if you meet the average requirements above and get permission from the Academic Counsellor.
- You may take a maximum of 3.0 courses in the summer if the following conditions are met:
- a) no more than 2.0 courses run concurrently
- b) if 2.0 run concurrently, only 1.0 of them may be an honors or lab course) no more than 1.0 of the 3.0 may be a Distance Studies course
- Special permissions can be considered for summer overloads if you have an outstanding record. But, we recommend caution. The courses are already condensed. One Summer Evening course should keep you busy if you are working.
Courses at the Affiliates (King's, Brescia, Huron)
Kinesiology students should normally take their courses on campus. However, you may take a maximum of 1.0 course at an Affiliate as follows:
- If the course is not offered on campus, no special permission is required, unless indicated in the course notes in the Registration Handbook.
- If the course is offered on campus but is full or conflicts with your timetable, you may request Special Permission during the Add/Drop period in September.
- Students who are taking two or more courses may take one course at an affiliated college (Kings, Brescia or Huron) if that course is not offered on campus.
For example, Religious Studies and Social Work are offered only at the Affiliates.
- To add one of these courses:
- Register on-line if possible or take your Add/Drop form to the department at the college.
- Turn your form in to the Academic Counsellors.
- Special permission is not required for a maximum of one course that is not offered on campus.
- If a course is offered on campus you should take it on campus if possible.
- If the course you want is full on campus or if it conflicts with your timetable, you may request special permission in September to take it at an affiliated college.
- The affiliated college may ask to see your special permission form before adding you to the class.
- To save time, ask Academic Counsellor for written permission before you go to get the signature at the Affiliate.
- Remember, in most cases you may take a maximum of one course at an affiliate.
To take a course without the prerequisites, you must obtain permission from the department offering the course and the Academic Counsellor in Kinesiology.. Permissions are granted only in exceptional circumstances and may not be used as the basis for an appeal.
Consult the respective departments/areas concerned before June 1. Kinesiology will not normally consider permissions between June 1 and September 1.
Also from this web page:
Undergraduate Academic Coordinator
519-661-2111 ext. 80580
519-661-2111 ext. 89298
Room 2225 - 3M Centre
Western provides the best student experience among Canada's leading research-intensive universities.